12 volt impact wrench

Anyone tried one of these lighter plug impact wrenches? I got to change a tire a couple weeks ago, and really coulda used an impact. But do they do any good, or are they all hype and no torque?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't know about the 12v but I have a 14.4v battery powered 3/8" impact and about the most it'll handle is 3/8" bolts. It'll spin a lug nut off if you break it loose first.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I have one - never use it much, since I also have on-board air, but the couple of times I used it, I found it surprisingly "torquey". However, that torque comes at a price, which is speed of use. The thing has to "wind up", then a solenoid trips and it slams home. You get maybe 1 blow every 2-3 seconds. On the plus side, it should only take 2 or 3 blows to break loose your average lug nut.

Overall, not a bad thing to throw under the back seat, and certainly better than nothing.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence