15% incrrease in MPG? Say it isn't so!!

Ok....with the exception of the intake plenum leak and one water pump making noise....I have experienced my first outright failure of a component. This just happened
to be my fan clutch. I had been reading about the Flex-A-Lite fan setup and it states an increase in economy and power. Well, I experienced what happens first....
The clutch locked up on Friday night and it felt like I was pulling a loaded twin axle dump trailer. 2500 4x4 QC gasser btw. Anyway, it seemed as though I could almost see the fuel needle moving as I drove to my destination and then back home. Ok...it's about11:30 on a Friday night...what are my options? Drive it as it is until I get a replacement...let it sit til I get a replacement....or remove the damn thing and drive it til I get a replacement. I opted for the last since it's failry here now. So...one bolt and out it came. First thing I noticed was how much more quiet the motor seemed. Then I noticed the obvious increase in power to the wheels. Then I noticed I got zero detonation as I did before (running the Superchip reprogram)...then I realized that slight vibration I had before was gone too. Then the best...my average miles per gallon increased from 10.5 in town...up to 12 in town. Can this be true? Still checking each tank to verify but if it is indeed an increase, I'd like you all to know about it and to ask why in the heck isn't Dodge doing this from the factory? We all know they have the worst MPG rating in the known universe for trucks so why not do a little good with one little change?
I'll post more results as they hopefully continue.
Laszlo Almasi

I dunno, Laz... I mean, replacing the fan clutch is a BIG job. I don't think you understand how big a job it is. It's probably beyond your abilities, and you'd be much better off just trading the truck in on one with an operable fan clutch. It's not like you'd have anything unique when you're finished, either... there's plenty of trucks out there that already have a perfectly good fan clutch. I just don't understand why you'd want to invest the time and effort into changing out your own fan clutch. But, if you insist, I suppose you're going to do so without any regard for the advice you just received, so I'm going to sit here in a huff and get all pissy with others while you go ahead and throw good money after bad.... har-umph.
Roflmao...that was hilarious! Good one TL!
Laszlo Almasi
Tom Lawrence wrote:

He could put a diesel fan on it.
--
Ken

Friggin' beautiful!!!!

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Tom Lawrence:

Well, I'd like to modify my 1500 QC to be a Suzuki Sidekick. I'll do it in stages. The little 4-banger will fit easily under the hood. Then I'm pretty sure that I can get the body to fit after I shorten the frame. It's doable. I'm sure not dumb enough to buy a Sidekick when I could convert the truck that I already have.
Lets not get this particular thread off on some BS tangent please!!!
Laszlo Almasi
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 16:03:56 -0500, "Carolina Watercraft Works"

You say that after posting it to AADT? Get real!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Now that is funny...... <BG>
Denny

beekeep
Why not replace it with electric fans directly attached to the radiator?

Thats what I'm thinking of doing. Flex-A-Lite makes one.
Laszlo Almasi

That sounds like a good plan, if you go that route, please let use know how it works for you.
That I will surely do. I think this will be some very worthwhile information for "just about" everyone here.
Laszlo Almasi
Ok, just went through my third tank of gas and I got 11.9 mpg on this tank. That being said, I can say with 100% certainty that I have seen a realistic increase in fuel economy. From 10.5 mpg up to 11.5-11.9 mpg. I'd say the electric fan swap is a good idea depending on how many miles you drive.
Laszlo Almasi