1974 dodge ram mystery

my truck starts and sounds smooth at an idle but it takes a triumph of finesse to keep the engine running when i give it gas or come to a stop with the truck in gear

Reply to
jt

Sounds like the accelerator pump in the carb or the low speed jet clogged. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Possibly the accelerator pump or as I found out one time a link on the carburetor had come off. A new clip fixed this. Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

If it has a Thermoquad 4 barrel, this can be caused by one of the main jets loosening up. I had rejetted my 77, and since it had run fine during the initial test drive after, I took it to work, and about halfway there it started doing all kinds of weird stuff. It idled ok, but took all kinds of pumping, feathering and stuff to keep running or accelerating a little bit. I did top out at 30MPH along the long drive back home. About 20 minutes after I got home, I was back on the road. I had taking a TQ apart down solid at that point.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

What engine? Carburetor? How many miles on it? Has there been any major work done? What have you checked so far?

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

the engine is a 318

90k original depends onwhat you call major i've replaced the water pump, starter, fuel pump, distributor, carbuerator, alternator, battery, brakes, plugs and plugwires but that is all accessory, no fiddling with the drivetrain
Reply to
jt

Drivetrain, unless it's binding for some reason won't usually cause that kind of problem, but a retarded timing setting will. Make sure you're at 10 degrees Before Top Dead Center (BTDC) with the vacuum advance line plugged on the distributor end. Ten degrees will work with most lower grade fuels.

If that is good, then look at your accelerator pump settings ( I prefer the longest stroke, especially in cold climes in winter) and make sure it's squirting into the carburetor throats.

Could your exhaust be bent from a rough road, high centering or backing into a dirt pile?

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran