1979 Dodge RV tranny replacement.

I have a 1979 Dodge RV, 440 engine, and the tranny is almost shot. I have been offered a tranny from a late '60's Dodge with a 360 engine. Will it just switch out, and will it handle the RV with a light tow
trailer? Neither has an overdrive. Thanks in advance.-Jitney
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It will bolt in but I would not use it as the 440 has a lot more torque. Try and find a old 727 out of a full size car that had a 440 in it to begin with because they were built a bit heavier and they had a different converter too than the one used on smaller engines.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Not to mention the fact that a 360 has a different bellhousing pattern than a 440.
So NO it will NOT bolt in.
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

Not so sure about that
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Well, I am sure, and so are a bunch of the rest of us. Mopar had big block, small block, and slant six bell housings. A 360 and a 440 are two different families of engine.
--
Max

I would get a recommendation from Dodge. Specifically I think it is MOPAR parts. They sell things like crate motors and transmissions. I might not buy it from MOPAR but I would certainly be guided by their recommendations. A good transmission shop would be a place to go to also.
Bob AZ

Hi Jitney,
It *won't* fit... between the Slant-6 (170/198/225 cid), LA small-block (273/318/340/360 cid), and B/RB big-block (361/383/400/413/426/440 ci), there were three different bellhousings which are integral to the transmission case. There were two families of Torqueflite (called Loadflite as used in trucks) -- the smaller A904 and the larger A727. While you could get a '727 behind any engine, the B/RB engines got only the '727.
Are you *certain* you have a 440 in your motorhome? Distributor in back 273/318/340/360... distributor in front = 361/383/400/413/426/440.
Bryan