1983 D150 six cyclinder.

I have a 1983 D150 that has a dead number 6 cyclinder I'v replaced the intake manifold gasket fuel pump and carburetor and put new plugs,wires, rotor button and distributor cap onn and checked for bad valve springs
and such. Could it have jumped timming or something? I was first told it was the intake manifold sucking air. Any help welcome.

Start with a compression check. Next I have seen those old 225 slant six's wear cam lobes of sometimes (it actually happend to me once about 30 years ago) ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
"John" queried:

Possible causes: 1. Bent/burned valve 2. Blown head gasket
A compression check, as SnoMan suggested, will tell you whether or not you have a cylinder sealing issue. If you do, forcing compressed air into the sparkplug hole will tell you where you're losing compression: 1. air coming out of tailpipe = burned/bent exhaust valve 2. air coming out of carburetor = bent intake valve 3. air coming out between cylinder block & head = blown head gasket. 4. air coming out of crankcase = bad rings If items 1, 2, or 3, you'll be pulling the head. If item 4, you'll be pulling the whole engine. To do the test, you'll need a source of compressed air and a tool such as this: http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail 9
Bryan
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

Thanks for the advice I will try the test.
says...

plugs,wires,
you
the
You're welcome. I forgot to mention -- you need to test with both valves closed. If you first remove the valve cover, you can tell when the lifters are on the camshaft base-circle. You'll also be able to see if there's any valvetrain damage (bent pushrods, broken/worn rockers, etc). Bryan