1984 B250 Van... which tranny?

Hi all... first post here. I see quite a few familiar names from the Chevy groups.

I've owned a 1984 B250 Dodge van for years now, and it's been off the road for the last few. Although it's *highly* unfeasible to do so, I've decided to start the process of getting it back on the road, as it holds much sentimental value, and I just enjoyed driving it a lot.

Before any real work can happen I need to find out a few things, and my first question refers to which tranny it has. I've heard there are long and short versions of the 727, but I don't know which I have. The Van is a standard-length van. By "standard", I mean it's not a shorty, and it's not one of those with the extra long rear end hanging off the back...just your average sized utility van.

I'd also like to know which rear axle it has. It's been a good one. After a few engine and tranny swaps from back when my Dad drove (and didn't properly maintain it) that rear axle has roughly 485,000 miles on it. I'm not kidding.

I'm looking forward to digging it out of the weeds at my ex-wife's place and getting it running well enough to drive out of there under its own power. I need to get to where I could meet a car-hauling buddy of mine for the long trip back to Atlanta, as it's currently way out in the back woods of Alabama.

Thanks all,

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Which engine?????

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Oops...sorry, 318 2bbl is all I know... No air either if that matters.

~jp

Budd Cochran wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Being the B250, it was probably a 727 trans originally, but if there have been engine and trans swaps it could be a 904 also. Given that possibility, I'd say it's most likely a long output shaft trans or the driveshaft would have been swapped as well.

The rear axle is most likely the 9.25 / 9 1/4 corporate and contrary to some a good axle. I know of one that has yours matched or beat on the number of miles.

If the engine turns easily by hand, with a socket and breaker bar, it should start with fresh battery, oil and gas.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Well, I know it's a 727, just wasn't sure on the length...

The last time I started it was to see if it was up to the trip from Alabama to Atlanta. It clearly was not. The tranny made funny sounds and I only got up to about 10mph before there was heavy vibration coming from somewhere within the drivetrain.

I removed the air cleaner before starting it only to discover that a squirrel had decided to use it for acorn storage...I was kind of miffed about that.

Also, the carb's never been rebuilt... It ran, shall we say...a little rough.

Thanks,

~jp

Budd Cochran wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

After the 60's, I don't think they made many short output shaft transmissions as the wheelbase standardized at more than 100 inches.

That sounds more like a engine balance mismatch. A 318 is internally balanced and a 360 is externally balanced. A 360 trans on a 318 or vice versa will shake like mad. In both cases, the right converter fixes the problem.

Why be miffed? The squirrel had excellent taste and chose the best, highest quality storage place he could find. You've obviously got a five acorn air cleaner there, friend. :)

Better give that carb a good soaking and rebuild it or buy a rebuilt because that could be some of the vibration also.

Glad to help.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Well, I don't think it's a balance problem like you're describing. To make a long story short, the van was basically stolen from me at one point, and for about a year and a half I believed that it had been sent to the crusher--until Dad saw it driving down the road. Apparently the people who told him (not me) that it was "unfixable" (hardly anything is unfixable) fixed it 2 weeks later and ran it with illegal tags for that year and a half delivering carpet. I don't know if they did something to it once they realized that they were about to return it.

I do know that after it was returned to me, it was in many ways the old, worn out Dodge Van that I knew and loved, but soon after started having a strange issue where something would make a good bit of noise when just maintaining speed, but not under load or while deccelerating. Someone suggested to me that they make have put something in the oil or the gas tank to cause quicker-than-normal deterioration of the engine. Someone else listened and said it sounded like the main bearings.

I do know that when I did get it running that last time, it idled *ok* after a very lengthy warmup on a very hot Alabama day. It revved smoothly without noise when in park. The heavy-duty vibration only occured when moving in gear, and it was there regardless of whether or not I was accelerating or coasting down a hill.

LOL...Well, he must've thought so. I thought otherwise once I saw how the flapper in the intake tube had rusted open and the linkage connected to it was MIA. It just made it easier for him to get in!

That carb was toast in '93 when I started driving the van. I think it's beyond a good soaking. The choke was shot about 200K miles ago ;-) I would like to rebuild it, just because... But if I manage to get the van mobile enough to move a few miles, I'll probably do so with a temporary carb until I can find a more permanent workspace for it.

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Main bearings will hammer loudest under load, even light cruise, but will quieten some when coasting at lower speed. Rods pound under load but don't quieten much.

Long warmups could be a plugged crossover passage, thermostat stuck open, or inoperative choke, or any combination of the three.

And they always go for the 'better' places.

Sounds like a plan. If I can be of help, just drop the "spam" out of my email address.

Good luck!

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

A Chilton or Haynes book will help you determine this. The VIN, may be of some help. Also, some vehicles have a big sticker in the glovebox, which details all the equipment which was applied to this particular vehicle.

As it's more recent than 1974, it will have the electronic ignition. They are well noted for having a bad ground on the ign module. Which may prevent it from starting. May I suggest you bring some fresh gasoline. and a couple cans of ether. Also, distributor cap and rotor. Ballast resistor. A new battery. Jumper cables.

Wish I lived closer, I'm in western NYS. I'd sure like to work on a project as this.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, it's going to be quite a long project, as I want to restore it to its original state.

The hard part will be the body work. I want the frame to be blasted and repainted, and the body needs to be stripped and repainted as well. All new weatherstripping was needed years ago. The windshield is cracked. How would one go about doing a frame-off resto on a Dodge Van???

~jp

Storm> A Chilton or Haynes book will help you determine this. The VIN, may be

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

A frame-off can't be done, the frame is welded to the body.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Ok... well that solves that problem, LOL...

What would be the best way to tackle it then? Put it up on stands, yank the suspension out and start sandblasting? Repaint and undercoat and call it a day?

~jp

Budd Cochran wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

If you can afford one that will hold the weight, get/ borrow/ build a rotisserie and take the doors off, glass out and strip the engine, suspension and interior, then rebuild as you wish. There are several sources for reproduction carpet, headliners, etc.

But don't have too much fun, you might scare the neighbors. ;)

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Well, something that big would be too big for the space I have available. But it would be the most ideal.

I think realistically my best option is to pull the drivetrain. Then with the front end removed, support the whole thing on several heavy-duty jackstands. Then I could media blast most of the underside and then apply paint over that. I'm not worried about doing a really nice, clean job underneath, so long as any existing rust is removed, the underside is painted, and therefore protected from rust.

I'd really like something tough to be applied over the underside for dirt / debris / rust protection. Something like Line-X but I don't know if there are portable facilities available for someone to come out and apply the stuff.

I'd also like to do the same type of undercoating on my truck...

~jp

Budd Cochran wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

"Herculiner" is a bedliner coating that you can put on at home, but I have no idea how good it is or if it can be sprayed with conventional guns.

I understand the space limitation problem. I live in a mobile home park and I'm rebuilding a 1952 Cushman motor scooter out of my "workshop" an 8' X 16' storage shed that has only a 4' X 10' space left open for me to work in. :(

Right now, the scooter is on jackstands ( aka, high tech concrete blocks) in the yard . . .sometimes ya just can't get away from them "good ol' boy" traditions ... while I do the final assemblies and check out.

Reply to
Budd Cochran