1986 Blower Problem

I'm getting ready to sell my '86 Dodge 1/2 ton p.u. to my brother and I go out to find that the blower will only work on high speed now. It has a four speed swithch. The vacuum operated louvers for various functions works fine and directs the air where it's supposed to be and the a/c works fine but the blower will only work on high now. Is there a relay somewhere, if so where? Or is this another problem? Should I give it a good whack somewhere? Help please. Thanks in advance. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Mercer

There is a blower motor resistor block located in the heater/AC housing, it controls the lower speeds but is bypassed in the high speed. An open circuit in one of the resistor windings will prevent the lower speeds from working.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Thanks for that information. Can you tell me it's exact location? Is it in the dash, behind the glove box or down lower? If it's something I can find I could replace it if it does test open. Finding it would be my problem.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Mercer

Can't help you with location, but it's a bakelite block usually held in with two screws.

Reply to
John Kunkel

And, if you replace it and it goes out again, chances are you need a new blower motor because they start drawing too much current and take out the resistor when the bearings/bushings get bad.

Larry Behold Beware Believe

| >> There is a blower motor resistor block located in the heater/AC housing, | >> it controls the lower speeds but is bypassed in the high speed. | >> An open circuit in one of the resistor windings will prevent the lower | >> speeds from working. | > Thanks for that information. Can you tell me it's exact location? Is it in | > the dash, behind the glove box or down | > lower? If it's something I can find I could replace it if it does test | > open. Finding it would be my problem. | | Can't help you with location, but it's a bakelite block usually held in with | two screws. | |

Reply to
Larry Crites

So far, I haven't been able to find it's location. I looked behing the glove box, nothing there but those air servo things that control the air passages and some kind of a block with a plug in it in the far right hand side. After I get the replacement I may be able to tell by the plug configuration if that is it or not. It looks too large, but what do I know. Also, I have to go out to the dealer to get one. Autozone, etc. doesn't carry it. Hopefully the new one will look like or similar to the old one.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Mercer

If I remember correctly, by removing the glove box you can see about 4 or 5 wires going to a connector at the upper portion or top of the heater housing. After unplugging the wires and removing two screws you can lift the resistor block out of the housing. The nichrome wire coils making up the resistors and a diode hang down inside the air flow in the housing.

Reply to
shafferf
<

That did it, thanks. I had looked in there before but not up high enough and it was pouring down rain that day. I went right to it today. I really appreciate the help. This is a great old truck but I am having to sell it to my brother. I wouldn't be selling it to a family member if it wasn't a good one. At 137,000 mi. it doesn't burn or leak oil and the pressure is still to the right of center. It amazes me. I've already got seller's remorse as I've owned it for nine years, but I didn't even put 200 miles on it last year.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Mercer