1987 Ram W150 Noise....

I have an 87 w150 4x4. Im getting a wierd noise from the front end, seems to be in the wheel areas. Its hard to explain but I'll give it a try...sounds almost like a grinding/clunking type of sound. I notice it
mainly at lower speeds when going over a bumpy road or turning, mainly turning left. Any ideas on where I should start looking? Thank you.....Please forward emails to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com thank you
On Wed, 13 May 2009 22:40:48 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Mark W.) wrote:

This is Usenet, so no emails... <g>
Sounds like wheel bearing, or brakes. Brakes are easy to check, so do that first. Once brakes are eliminated, then consider the wheel bearings. Also try to isolate the noise to one side or the other if possible.
Hey, what the heck, also check the shock mounts and front-end bushings too.
Mark W. wrote:

bad universal joint.
--
Steve W.

Thats what I was thinking...wheel bearings, brakes, or universal joints, but just wanted to get some other opinions before I start spending money. The shocks are brand new so its not them. Thanks all

Gotta ask, did the noise appear soon after the installation of the new shocks?
Although brand new a shock could be improperly tightened..
On Thu, 14 May 2009 14:12:41 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Mark W.) wrote:

Never, ever rule out 'new' parts! Trust me, to do that is a really big mistake sometimes... <bg>
Your three things above are dead on. Personally, I think wheel bearnings, but could be brakes or U joints too.