1992 Dodge Ramcharger 5.2L 2WD Help

The vehicle was running. The fuse box under the steering column got loose and slipped so that a solid blue wire on the bottom of it shorted out against a ground. When it did the vehicle died. Now trying to start it and the starter is not engaged at all (no click or any sound). When the key is turned on you get the buzzer and the lights work and the dash comes on. The wire had a burned place on the connector but it is still making good contact. Have checked all fuses and none are burned. Could it be the starter relay? Didn't know if that would have cause it to die. What else besides the computer could I check?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
nchampion

It sounds like you might have burned a fuseable link, I don't know where they're at on a '92 but on the older trucks there were about 4 of them towards the back of the drivers side inner fender underhood.

Reply to
BigIronRam

=A0The wire had a burned place on the

You need to determine what the blue wire is for and whether there is any voltage on it. The starter can usually be jumped at the starter relay. Do some searching on this forum and the mopar.com web site I think it is. Solid blue as in color? Do some more googling and seariching.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Try this

"

" Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

I don't know if this related to the problem you are having, but I have dealt with two separate Dodge trucks (both diesel, one a 92 and the other a 94) that burnt the wiring harness at the headlight switch. In the case of the 92, I caught it in time before it burnt into the rest of the wiring harness. However, in the case of the 94, the problem existed for quite a while before the owner realised it, then he paid a trailer wiring place $600 to "chase down the problem"... All they did was jump a 12V wire to another wire that was supposed to have 12V that had burnt.. definitely created more problems.

I had to remove the whole dashboard from the truck and cut open most of the wiring harness and replace about 50 - 75 feet of wiring. The solution to the burnt wiring harness in both trucks was to eliminate the headlights from the headlight circuit in the truck and run a separate relay with separate wiring and a switch for just the headlight bulbs. With all the running lights and the lights on the roof, etc., the headlight circuit was overloaded. Now when I pull the headlight switch, even to the full on position, that circuit merely runs the running lights of the truck.

The only time there has been a problem since then was with the 94 truck. The owner insisted that since I had replaced the wiring, he once again could run the headlights from the switch on the dashboard.... BZZZZZZZZZZZ... wrong! Once the wiring got hot enough again, the lights started flickering on and off. Needless to say, he went back to my work-around. I had the factory manual for the truck and I couldn't ever find the "headlight relay" in the wiring diagram.. If there truly is no headlight relay, no wonder the damned wiring burns up..

So anyway, if you have one burnt wire, it's rare that you *just* have one burnt wire. Don't assume that is the only one..

That blue wire could be to your trailer brake controller. I rarely see them wired with anything but a thermal breaker, so I believe those wires could go through a cycle of heating up enough times to burn through. And the genii that usually wire the things seem to always jam them through the firewall in the same hap-hazard manner.

Reply to
Nza