1993 Dakota does not backfire anymore?

Last fall, I posted several messages about a backfire problem when I encountered long uphill climbs.

After replacing the oxygen sensor, EGR valve, plugs, ignition wiring and anything else that seemed likely to contribute to the problem, I took it into Procare. Procare tested everything, and concluded that the distributer gears and bushing needed to be replaced - which they would be pleased to do for $1022 plus tax. They say the major cost is to remove and reinstall the intake manifold in order to get to the gear.

The local Dodge dealer wanted about $300. They said the gear can be replaced without removing the manifold.

I declined Procare's offer and they re-installed the distributer and what ever they had removed. They in turn declined to replace the muffler that had been throughly exploded in their testing.

Since I don't use the pickup during the winter, I decided to wait until now to take it in to the dealer.

Now, however, the backfire and stalling problem is gone! I have driven over 1200 miles up and down big hills and accelerated up these hills and it just doesn't fail. I am pleased but puzzled.

Did Procare correct a timing problem when the distributer was re-installed? Or maybe with the rotor position sensor? And it is likely to stay fixed? Any idea?

Thanks

Reply to
DLC

======== ========

Any idea? you shure?

ok........

lifes way too short to be worrying about things that work correctly.

feel free to repost if anything breaks.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Maybe your muffler was plugged? HD

Reply to
HoDad

DLC responds:

Don't you ever wonder why something happens?

Reply to
DLC

DLC responds:

Reply to
DLC

No Forrest.......

it's enough for me........

to just know........

shit happens.

~:~ MarshMonster ~if the mushroom tea ain't potent enough......just add more mushrooms~

Reply to
Marsh Monster