1993 Dakota does not backfire anymore?

Last fall, I posted several messages about a backfire problem when I encountered long uphill climbs.
After replacing the oxygen sensor, EGR valve, plugs, ignition wiring and
anything else that seemed likely to contribute to the problem, I took it into Procare. Procare tested everything, and concluded that the distributer gears and bushing needed to be replaced - which they would be pleased to do for $1022 plus tax. They say the major cost is to remove and reinstall the intake manifold in order to get to the gear.
The local Dodge dealer wanted about $300. They said the gear can be replaced without removing the manifold.
I declined Procare's offer and they re-installed the distributer and what ever they had removed. They in turn declined to replace the muffler that had been throughly exploded in their testing.
Since I don't use the pickup during the winter, I decided to wait until now to take it in to the dealer.
Now, however, the backfire and stalling problem is gone! I have driven over 1200 miles up and down big hills and accelerated up these hills and it just doesn't fail. I am pleased but puzzled.
Did Procare correct a timing problem when the distributer was re-installed? Or maybe with the rotor position sensor? And it is likely to stay fixed? Any idea?
Thanks
DLC wrote:

============== Any idea? you shure?
ok........
lifes way too short to be worrying about things that work correctly.
feel free to repost if anything breaks.
~:~ MarshMonster ~:~
Marsh Monster wrote:

DLC responds:
Don't you ever wonder why something happens?
DLC wrote:

it's enough for me........
to just know........
shit happens.
~:~ MarshMonster ~if the mushroom tea ain't potent enough......just add more mushrooms~

gear.
Maybe your muffler was plugged? HD

DLC responds: