1995 2500 speed sensor

Hello dodge guys, recently we took our 95 turbo diesel 2wheel drive automatic to the dealer to troubleshoot our low voltage prob..they said it was a sensor at the starter???the bill shows a fee for changing out the speed sensor 69 labor and 102 part!!!!!i believe this sensor is on the side of the tranny and it does not look new...also when i checked the truck the next day the #$%^%#$ starter was about to fall off and was missing a bolt!!!!!!!could have caused a fire(if positive wire hit frame)..can anyone tell me where the speed sensor is??i should be able to tell if it is new??Want to have things in order before i present the issue to the dealership service dept..Thanks for any help...

Reply to
lando10101

Sensor at the starter, huh? Must be one of those new-fangled OBD-III emissions-controlled starters (yeah - there's no "sensor" there)

On a '95, the speed sensor is on the tailshaft of the transmission (since you have a 2WD - it's on the transfer-case on 4x4 models). You also have a sensor in the rear differential, for the RWAL system. But in '95, this sensor is only for the ABS system, and has nothing to do with vehicle speed (unlike '98 and newer vehicles).

More importantly, though - what the heck does a vehicle speed sensor have to do with a low voltage problem? (Short answer - nothing... but it would be interesting to hear their explanation)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Wonder if he could have meant the Crankshaft Position Sensor? It is located behind the starter on my 2000 2500 Cummins. I recently became familiar with it...

Reply to
jackvt80

spped sensor is a plastic looking thing some what bigger than a spark plug and it screws into the side of the trans (left side)\

Andy

Reply to
andy