1995 Dodge Ram with Engine Codes 37 & 45

I have a 1995 Dodge RAM 1500 Pickup VIN 1B7HC16Y7SS340024 with Engine Codes 37 & 45. My truck does not have OVERDRIVE anymore and the transmission chatters somewhat going from 1st to 2nd gear (especially
when accelerating slowly) and has difficulty (delayed shifting) going from 2nd to 3rd gear. The problem seems to not happen when I accelerate faster. Anything I can check or try short of (or before) taking it to a transmission shop?