1995 Ram 1500 engine light.

Hello all. I used to lurk around here a few years back when I had my 1984 Ramcharger. It's since long gone but last June I bought a 1995 Ram 1500 Laramie SLT.
I have recently been having a little trouble with the engine light coming on while driving. but more important than that is the difficulty she has in switching from 2nd to 3rd gear. could the 2 be related. Should I bring her to my mechanic or my tranny guy?
I'm interested in learning about this stuff, I have precious little knowledge of engines, etc.. but I want to keep this baby around. I bought her in near mint condition and would like to keep her that way as long as possible.
Bryan

See the following page for the procedure to retrieve the diagnostic trouble code(s):
http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/gas/Trouble/pcm_fault_code.htm
Post back with what you found.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

33*      AC clutch relay circuit     Short or open in the AC clutch circuit.
Kewl. Thanks a lot Tom. You r my new best bud......lol
Now, Ummm what does this mean to me. should I just mention it to my mechanic when I go for my oil change next month or do I need to address it right away???

Well, it means a couple of things. First, the two symptoms (lazy shifting, and Check Engine light) are most likely unrelated. Secondly, it means your A/C might not be operating, because something's screwy with the clutch circuit.
It's nothing you need to worry about immediately. The tranny, on the other hand, well.... I'd get that checked. Transmission rebuilds can get expensive.
Hey, Bryan, I dunno on that 95 but, FWIW, on my 98 1500 360 auto the factory service manual talked about "adjusting bands" in the transmission. I forget the procedure, but I could look it up if you wanted me to; I still have the manual, but basically it was a scheduled maintenance task. I had mine for about 97,000 miles (before selling to my father) and I only adjusted them once and never noticed problems in shifting. Sooo...I dunno if that'll help you but it might; I suppose it'd depend on whether you have the same tranny as my old one does (my dad still has it) and how many miles yours has.
That's what I have for you. Lemme know if you want me to look up the steps on "adjusting the bands" as I seem to remember the procedure was for (it's been a few years since I owned it and I've slept since then. :) )
--HC
HC wrote:

Actually, I still have the manual with this truck as well. I bought her at 117000 miles now just passed 123000 I'll take a glance at the manual and get back to ya, Thanks for the advice.
Bryan, on the manual I mean the factory service manual, not the owner's manual. I felt like your answer was referring to the owner's manual which I don't think explains the adjustment of the transmission bands. Not trying to be hateful, just trying to be sure we're on the same page.
And I hate to ask this but I have to since I was involved just yesterday with a "you gotta be joking, of course I checked that" problem with a friend's '02 Intrepid and some shifing problems...you did check to see that it had enough fluid, right? We serviced my friend's auto tranny on his wife's Intrepid and it was slipping; only to find out that the initial read of the fluid level was incorrect and it needed THREE more quarts (I STILL don't know how we got that wrong. :( )
Also, check the fluid spec on that. I think yours (and my old one) are ATF+3 but make sure they're not ATF+4 (I don't know what the difference is...but it can't hurt to be sure you have the right fluid in there).
FWIW.
--HC
HC wrote:

OK thanks, I was referring to the owners manual........and Yes I did check the fluid, twice to be sure......As for adjusting the bands is this something I can do as a layman or should I just ask my tranny guy about it? The only work I've ever done on my cars/trucks is oil changes and brakes, I'm not what you would call, mechanically inclined.....

If the work that you have done to a vehicle is limited to oil changes I would strongly suggest taking it to your "transmission guy". Not that it's an incredibly difficult job to do but if you get it wrong, it can cost you $$$$.

I seem to remember, from about 4 years ago when I last did the "adjustment" to the tranny bands that it was child's play. Like I said, it's been a while. I really don't think it's gonna be that hard. I do recommend that, if you intend to keep the vehicle for any amount of time, you get the factory service manual. It's about 100 to 140 bucks and you can call your local Dodge dealer to get the number to call and order it.
--HC