1995 RAM 4x4 1500 5.9 L

I just purchased this truck for $100. It has a problem starting. When it decides not to start, you may have to wait from 10 minutes to a few days before it will start again. When you try to start the truck, it cranks just fine, but will not fire. Firestone charged $91.00 to tell us it needs a new fuel pump., spark plugs and wires, and some electronic module. Somehow, this doesn't seem like a correct diagnosis. I welcome any advice on where/how to begin diagnosing this problem.

Reply to
Donny Baugh

Lorne

I agree and think they are just throwing everything at it. Start cheap, plugs and wires are easy do it yourself and see what happens. Try pulling the codes with the key. Try some injector clearner etc.

If I'm being perfectly honest you should not be buying a 100 dollar truck if you have to spend about the same to find out why it won't start. A Haynes manual costs less than $20.00 for this truck and would have given you more information and told you how to try and fix it yourself.

Reply to
td

I welcome any advice on where/how to begin diagnosing this

========== ========== Any advice?? welcomed??

okay..... here goes.......

or.....

check the fuel pressure, compression, timing, primary and secondary ignition system, scan the computer for codes and activity......then post the results and we'll go to the next step.

or.......

we can guess.

want a guess..?..

okay.... shoot some starting fluid in the throttle body and see if it fires over next time.

post the results.... we'll guess again if that don't do it.

~:~ MarshMonster ~has to go to the pshyco NG now.....he thinks his therapist is wrong~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Perhaps I should qualify further. My wife's ex put the truck in Firestone for repair. He has left it there for 6 months. He has an addiction problem and couldn't/wouldn't pay the bill, (diagnostic charge + storage of $30 per day). My wife spoke to Firestone and they released it to us for the $91.00 diagnostic fee, forgoing the storage charge. They are re-paving their lot. Thus I say - I purchased the truck for $100. I don't want to complain to Firestone about their diagnosis because their storgae bill was about $3000.00, which they forgave. The truck has new tires and a new $600.00 sound system. Well worth the $91.00.

Prior my wife's ex putting his truck in Firestone for repair, Autozone checked for a code and said he needed to put some electronic piece on the distributor. He did. The problem remained. Firestone wanted $591.00 to fix his turck. His drug problem stopped him from ever saving the money, even though he earned 800-900 per week and lived in a $75.00 per week sleeping room. He has since lost his job and operators license.

We are bringing the truck home this weekend. I will get the Haynes manual recommended by td in another post. Then I will drive it till it fails and try using starting fluid. If it fires then I can suspect fuel delivery. But that could be the electronics controlling the injectors and not the fuel pump. I can try the static fuel pressure test once I have a manual to tell me from where to connect the fuel pressure gauage and what the fuel pressure spec is. I wonder about the flow volume test. I have never done this before. If it doesn't fire I assume the manual will direct diagnoistics

Reply to
Donny Baugh