1995 RAM brakes, pressure in pedal, but no stop

So here's the history:

When I first got the truck a year and a half ago, I noticed the RWAL ABS light would come on occasionally, but only when applying the brake in reverse. There would be pressure at the pedal, but not at the brakes themselves. Before long, I noticed that pumping the pedal a couple times, even while in Drive, would cause the same thing. Pressure at the pedal, but the vehicle lerches forward. I know you're not supposed to pump the pedal with ABS, but when inching along in a traffic jam, it is inevitable. I tried disconnecting the ABS fuse, but that didn't change the problem.

I also checked the combinantion valve to make sure the valve stem protrudes when the brakes are applied.

Also, somewhere along the line, the truck started showing the clasic signs of warped drums: vibration/pulsation while braking (even at very slow speeds), though not side/side vibration. I went to get the drums turned, and the parts shop salesman said they were barely out of spec. He turned them, but that didn't help. I gather that he completely messed up, but perhaps I reassembled the brakes improperly. Before I'd even dropped the truck back on the ground, I could tell it was still bad, because the drum would only rub up against the shoe for half of the wheel rotation.

I'm off to get the ABS code from the truck. Will post it when I find out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nate

Reply to
natejesus

First, if the ABS light is on, you need to look into a bad wheel speed sensor. If you have a bad sensor this could be the root cause of some of your other problems. I would also pull apart the brakes and reassemble them to make sure that you did it correctly and visually inspect everything for damage.

Reply to
azwiley1