1997 Dakota Problem Areas

Hello group,
My friend is going to look at a 1997 Daokta in a few days and I was wondering if there are any specific problems areas that I should tell him to
look for?
Stats: 1997 Dakota 61K miles Ext. Cab V8 Auto 4WD Power everything
Thats about all that I can think of. Any other advice would also be appeciated.
Thanks, John
I don't know that Dakota's have any specific problem areas. Does the '97 have a "push button" transfer case? Make sure it'll go into 4 high/4 low and that it'll actually spin the front tires in gravel.
Otherwise, just do the standard inspection. Make sure everything works. Check all the fluids. Check for bondo/paint/body work. Etc.
-rev

The rear axle may have some problems in the near future as the 9 1/4 axle used in the Dakota and 1500 series ram tend to have no so great bearings.
"John" < snipped-for-privacy@att.net> wrote in message

When I had my 97 Dakota, though it was a 2wd, I don't recall having any issues, other then normal service.
Thanks for the replies. I'll let him know what you guys said.
Thanks again, John

TBone says was the rear end. It was starting to make noise when I sold it. Other than that I think the only thing I replaced was the water pump. It was a great truck. Tom

Water pump, AC condenser, heater core, pinion seal (which wiped out the bearings in the rear end), exhaust, and brakes (a couple of times, at least). The guy who owned it before me replaced the timing chain and gear set as preventive maintenance at about 100,000 miles. I'm in the process of replacing the rear axle speed sensor. Other than oil, filter, tires, and spark plugs, that's about it.
For the miles I've put on it I'm happy.
Ken
got a 97 4wd 107,000 mile replaced muffler and water pump bought it at 77,000 miles body still looks like new