1997 Dodge Dakota A/C duct.

Page 1 of 2
What is involved in removing, or at least being able to get inside the duct? I was replacing the headlight switch, and had to take a veteran to the VA to see her doctor. The trim was still off and even
though I told her not to, she shoved her cell phone into the opening over the radio and it fell into the duct. Can anyone give me some helpful information? I really don't care about her lousy phone, but I'm tired of the complaining. I just can't be without transportation for very long, over a lousy phone :(
--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

You've tried to fish it out, I presume?
I have found A/C ducts to be one major PITA, usually you have to pull the entire dash to get at them.
Harbor Freight has some 'bore-sight' cameras that may help you look into the duct and see where it is.
Now if this was me, when that phone got back to the owner, it probably would not work again! <bg>
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Add pictures here
✖
PeterD wrote:

It goes back about six inches, then down at least that far. It's too small to get a hand down into the duct.

If that is the case, she can buy another phone.

I've seen those in their store. One would cost more than the phone is worth. :(

A few more days of needing the heater because of heavy fog and it won't work anyway. :)
--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
✖

Try a shop vac with a smaller hose if the 'regular' size hose does not work.
Add pictures here
✖
NotMe wrote:

I thought about that, but there is no way to get the smallest hose I have through the opening I's about 1.5" high and maybe 8" wide before it turns down. I'm hoping that one of my spare security cameras (with I/R night vision lighting) is small enough to make the turn. If I can see what it's like inside, it will make it easier to decide how to procede.
Thanks to the group for the ideas. :)
--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
✖

Buy a 3 ft section of clear plastic tubing use for fish tank cleaning. Can be had in sizes from 1/2" to 3".
A resale shop like good will should have a verity of different sized vacuum hoses as well.
My DIL lost her engagement ring in the venting in the dash of her father's car. Dealer wanted to charge a fortune to disassemble the dash. Shop vac, some various sized tubing and a supply of duck tape and I was a hero.
Add pictures here
✖
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

NOT fun. However that opening does drop down to the floor vents. You might get lucky if you can fish a section of stiff wire or similar down there and push the phone over so it drops into the lower duct. You will need to set the controls so that air is blowing out at the dash and floor ducts, this will open the valve and hopefully let the phone drop through. You may be able to pop the lower ducting off and get in that way. Been a while since I've played with a Dakota.
--
Steve W.

Add pictures here
✖
On 4/11/2011 2:32 PM, Steve W. wrote:

I was thinking about my magnetic pickup tool. Has a 10 AWG solid aluminum wire which bends nicely. Now the magnet would probably not pick up a cell phone, but a big blob of chewing gum might just do the trick!

--
I'm never going to grow up.

Add pictures here
✖
"PeterD" wrote in message
On 4/11/2011 2:32 PM, Steve W. wrote:

I was thinking about my magnetic pickup tool. Has a 10 AWG solid aluminum wire which bends nicely. Now the magnet would probably not pick up a cell phone, but a big blob of chewing gum might just do the trick!

You also might try a "flexible claw". I had one in my tool box for ages and it comes in handy from time to time. You will have to fish blindly tho'
Mike
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Add pictures here
✖

I hate to be the one to point out the obvious but.... why not turn the truck upside down and shake it?
beekeep
Add pictures here
✖
"beekeep" wrote in message

I hate to be the one to point out the obvious but.... why not turn the truck upside down and shake it?
beekeep
Damn, Greg!! What would we do withoutcha'?
Mike
Add pictures here
✖
beekeep wrote:

If the truck were in freefall, the phone would float out of there. Hey, maybe the phone floats in water. I would close any vent flapper doors and pour water into the duct until the phone rises to the top.
Add pictures here
✖

The phone would float in mercury!
beekeep
Add pictures here
✖
beekeep wrote:

So much for getting "Some helpful information".
--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
✖
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 23:25:28 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Sorry I didn't give you enough detail. First you have to find Moose and Squirrel. When you do, you borrow some of their upsadazium. Putt Upsadazium in truck and truck turns upside down.
beekeep
Add pictures here
✖
cut a three sided flap into the duct / remove fone / close flap / seal cuts with ? duct tape , silicone, hot glue, FUN / NOT
Add pictures here
✖

I'm not sure you are serious or not, but I did do just that once when I could not remove the duct from a vehicle. Use Gorilla Tape, it seems to have the best hold over time on a warm/hot duct.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

Add pictures here
✖

I once lost a mini maglite down the defroster vent of a mercedes 450sel.. I pulled the instrument cluster and cut into the defroster duct... voila!
A friend once lost his cell phone in the bilge of a tugboat in which we were working.. The captain was down in the engine room with us and handed my friend a big magnet on a stick. It got the phone, but the magnet wiped out the phone, so it was worthless anyway. So, a magnet that will actually pick up a cell phone is most likely going to ruin it.
Add pictures here
✖

I once lost a mini maglite down the defroster vent of a mercedes 450sel.. I pulled the instrument cluster and cut into the defroster duct... voila!
A friend once lost his cell phone in the bilge of a tugboat in which we were working.. The captain was down in the engine room with us and handed my friend a big magnet on a stick. It got the phone, but the magnet wiped out the phone, so it was worthless anyway. So, a magnet that will actually pick up a cell phone is most likely going to ruin it.
{{
It's *very* unlikely the big magnet did in the phone. As to how I know at one time I was lead in the design group for one of the major phone manufacturers.
BTW if you are looking for a *big* fishing magnet get your hands on an old microwave oven. Only thing better is the magnet from a industrial marine radar. Keep it far away from any HDD you may have.
Add pictures here
✖

Well, maybe it's *very* unlikely, but I saw it happen, thank you. The LCD did the "magnet next to the TV" trick and the phone was bricked.
I guess maybe I didn't see that happen, huh?
Add pictures here
✖