1997 Dodge Dakota A/C duct.

What is involved in removing, or at least being able to get inside the duct? I was replacing the headlight switch, and had to take a veteran to the VA to see her doctor. The trim was still off and even though I told her not to, she shoved her cell phone into the opening over the radio and it fell into the duct. Can anyone give me some helpful information? I really don't care about her lousy phone, but I'm tired of the complaining. I just can't be without transportation for very long, over a lousy phone :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You've tried to fish it out, I presume?

I have found A/C ducts to be one major PITA, usually you have to pull the entire dash to get at them.

Harbor Freight has some 'bore-sight' cameras that may help you look into the duct and see where it is.

Now if this was me, when that phone got back to the owner, it probably would not work again!

Reply to
PeterD

It goes back about six inches, then down at least that far. It's too small to get a hand down into the duct.

If that is the case, she can buy another phone.

I've seen those in their store. One would cost more than the phone is worth. :(

A few more days of needing the heater because of heavy fog and it won't work anyway. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

NOT fun. However that opening does drop down to the floor vents. You might get lucky if you can fish a section of stiff wire or similar down there and push the phone over so it drops into the lower duct. You will need to set the controls so that air is blowing out at the dash and floor ducts, this will open the valve and hopefully let the phone drop through. You may be able to pop the lower ducting off and get in that way. Been a while since I've played with a Dakota.

Reply to
Steve W.

I was thinking about my magnetic pickup tool. Has a 10 AWG solid aluminum wire which bends nicely. Now the magnet would probably not pick up a cell phone, but a big blob of chewing gum might just do the trick!

Reply to
PeterD

Try a shop vac with a smaller hose if the 'regular' size hose does not work.

Reply to
NotMe

I was thinking about my magnetic pickup tool. Has a 10 AWG solid aluminum wire which bends nicely. Now the magnet would probably not pick up a cell phone, but a big blob of chewing gum might just do the trick!

You also might try a "flexible claw". I had one in my tool box for ages and it comes in handy from time to time. You will have to fish blindly tho'

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

I thought about that, but there is no way to get the smallest hose I have through the opening I's about 1.5" high and maybe 8" wide before it turns down. I'm hoping that one of my spare security cameras (with I/R night vision lighting) is small enough to make the turn. If I can see what it's like inside, it will make it easier to decide how to procede.

Thanks to the group for the ideas. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I hate to be the one to point out the obvious but.... why not turn the truck upside down and shake it?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

cut a three sided flap into the duct / remove fone / close flap / seal cuts with ? duct tape , silicone, hot glue, FUN / NOT

Reply to
samstone

I'm not sure you are serious or not, but I did do just that once when I could not remove the duct from a vehicle. Use Gorilla Tape, it seems to have the best hold over time on a warm/hot duct.

Reply to
PeterD

I once lost a mini maglite down the defroster vent of a mercedes

450sel.. I pulled the instrument cluster and cut into the defroster duct... voila!

A friend once lost his cell phone in the bilge of a tugboat in which we were working.. The captain was down in the engine room with us and handed my friend a big magnet on a stick. It got the phone, but the magnet wiped out the phone, so it was worthless anyway. So, a magnet that will actually pick up a cell phone is most likely going to ruin it.

Reply to
Nza

Buy a 3 ft section of clear plastic tubing use for fish tank cleaning. Can be had in sizes from 1/2" to 3".

A resale shop like good will should have a verity of different sized vacuum hoses as well.

My DIL lost her engagement ring in the venting in the dash of her father's car. Dealer wanted to charge a fortune to disassemble the dash. Shop vac, some various sized tubing and a supply of duck tape and I was a hero.

Reply to
NotMe

I once lost a mini maglite down the defroster vent of a mercedes

450sel.. I pulled the instrument cluster and cut into the defroster duct... voila!

A friend once lost his cell phone in the bilge of a tugboat in which we were working.. The captain was down in the engine room with us and handed my friend a big magnet on a stick. It got the phone, but the magnet wiped out the phone, so it was worthless anyway. So, a magnet that will actually pick up a cell phone is most likely going to ruin it.

{{

It's *very* unlikely the big magnet did in the phone. As to how I know at one time I was lead in the design group for one of the major phone manufacturers.

BTW if you are looking for a *big* fishing magnet get your hands on an old microwave oven. Only thing better is the magnet from a industrial marine radar. Keep it far away from any HDD you may have.

Reply to
NotMe

I hate to be the one to point out the obvious but.... why not turn the truck upside down and shake it?

beekeep

Damn, Greg!! What would we do withoutcha'?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

If the truck were in freefall, the phone would float out of there. Hey, maybe the phone floats in water. I would close any vent flapper doors and pour water into the duct until the phone rises to the top.

Reply to
Beryl

You can't even see the duct without dismantling the dash. From what I've found on line, it is a one piece assembly that is apparently the first piece assembled when building the interior of the cab.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So much for getting "Some helpful information".

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Go to the clown supply store and get one of those skinny weiner dog balloons. Stick it into the duct outlet at the floor, inflate it, and the phone will be pushed back up.

Reply to
Beryl

Sorry I didn't give you enough detail. First you have to find Moose and Squirrel. When you do, you borrow some of their upsadazium. Putt Upsadazium in truck and truck turns upside down.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep