1997 Dodge Dakota Sport 5-speed manual transmission hard to shift

Hello,

I have a recently acquired 1997 Dodge Dakota Sport, 2WD, 3.9L V6,

5-speed AX15 manual transmission, with 160,000 miles on the odometer; not sure how many miles on the transmission.

Here is a summary of the symptoms that it is manifesting:

The majority of the time it is hard to shift into 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, although occasionally shifting into all 3 gears is perfectly smooth (what I would consider normal). I would estimate that it shifts normally around 10% of the time.

When it does shift normally, ALL 3 gears engage normally (after shifting into 3rd normally).

When it does not shift normally, ALL 3 gears are hard to engage, but each has a different relative level of difficulty, with 1st being extremely hard to engage,

2nd moderately hard and 3rd the easiest (but still not normal)

Once 1st gear has been successfully engaged 2nd and 3rd engage normally when up shifting.

At a dead stop, all 3 gears are hard to engage as described above.

Since 1st is basically impossible to engage the majority of the time when I try to shift directly from neutral or any other gear, here is my workaround when coming to a stop (with each gear engaging with the level of difficulty summarized above):

  1. Shift into 3rd
  2. Shift into 2nd
  3. Shift into 1st

On the rare occasion when it slips smoothly into 3rd it also slides like butter into

2nd and/or 1st.

Double clutching does not appear to have any effect.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be given these symptoms?

TIA

Luke

Reply to
lukeairig

How much clutch 'free play' is there? I suspect either clutch adjustment is way out, or more likely the clutch is just plain worn out.

Reply to
PeterD

i had an 89 Dakota 4x4 started doing the same thing. ended up broke down on the freeway because the main baring had sezed and spun in the case. drilled a hole thorugh the case at 70 miles an hour on the freeway befor it had popped out of gear.

you might want to opened up and replace the bearings soon. cost me 3k to get a new trans at the time and wasn't all that happy.

at the time it was a supply and demand market for the trans. they had the supply i had the demand and the 3k.

Reply to
crunch2

I also have a Dodge Dakota 5 speed. I had the same issues with it being har d to go into first, 2nd, and 3rd. Took it in to get the clutch/ Flywheel re placed. Shifted and Ran fine for less than 24 hours after i got the keys ba ck 12/10/2018. Brought it in Monday morning 2/12/2018 since they arent open sunday. it didnt shift properly. Meaning it seemed like a gear off. 1st o nly let me go 7mpg, 2nd 13mph, 3rd 25, 4th 35, 5th top speed was 43mph... s tarts fine, idles fine. everything runs fine except its not letting me shif t like normal. seems like it wants another gear which i obviously dont have . I looked around and called around. it all seems to come back to the flywh eel not being alligned properly. Its currently at the shop i took it to tha t replaced the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, flywheel etc... The c heck engine light reads bad camshaft. well. i dont have syptoms of a bad ca m shaft. a improperly aligned flywheel will mess up the cam shaft. the shop is doing whatever its doing right now. but if i get it fixed i will let yo u know what the issue is and how they fixed it.

if anyone can give me advice on this issue please email me at Dmorse2009@ya hoo.com with the subject line dakota issues....

Reply to
jakas9002