1998 Dodge Intrepid Fuel gage going crazy full then empty over and over

Help, my fuel gage is going to full then to empty dinging then going to full and back to empty again. it is not always rythmic but it is steady. is it the sending unit or is it something in the dash? where should I start to look. thanks in advance Andy

Reply to
andy

My '03 2500 HO does the same thing. It is pretty rythmic too. Everytime it goes ding it seems to cost me anywhere from $70-100, depending on the price of Diesel, but it does get me about 550 miles between dings.

On the other hand, if your dinger is dinging more rythmic than that, say many times when the tank is still full, I'd think it was the sending unit in the tank. Other folks with more experience will come on and direct you on that though.

FMB

Reply to
FMB

good one!

or I'd be inclined to break the dinger and start counting between fillups! I hate dings! Put your seatbelt on! Turn your lights off even if you're trying to fumble for the padlock. Now, put that seatbelt on while you park the vehicle! Thank goodness none of my trucks have dingers!

Other folks with more experience will come on and direct you on

rach

72 W100, 77/81 Ram 4x4, 82/86 D150, 86 D150, 87 & 88 4x4 Dakotas, 76 VW Transporter, 77 GMC longbox shed, 91 4x4 parts Dakota (maybe that one dinged once upon a time)

oh well, should get some sleep...

Reply to
Rachel Easson