1998 Dodge Ram 1500

My ABS light and branke stay on. They will not go off. I cannot find the problem. Please help.

Reply to
mantaz

How's the speedometer behave, particularly below 20MPH? If it's also erratic, the most likely cause is a failed rear wheel speed sensor. It's on top of the rear differential, and comes out with a single bolt. It will cost under $40 for a new sensor, and should take about 5 minutes to change out.

If the speedo. isn't erratic, it's still a posibility that the RWSS is bad/performing poorly. It could also be a failed front wheel sensor, low brake fluid, air in the ABS pump, an ABS pump/controller failure, etc. (all this is assuming you have 4-wheel ABS). Unfortunately, the ABS system is proprietary, and most shops don't have the equipment to diagnose it (directly, anyway). That's something only a dealer can do.

On a '98, it's possible to disconnect two of the three wheel speed sensors at a time, and use the speedometer to see if they're good. I've done this before. The rear sensor disconnects on top of the rear differential. The front sensors disconnect at a gray connector on top of each front inner fender panel (follow the wire next to the brake lines coming off the front calipers). Drive the truck with one sensor at a time hooked up. If one of them fails to allow the speedometer to register, you've found the bad sensor.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Mine did the same thing on my 97 . It was low brake fluid in the reservoir, caused from a leaking brake line. Your fluid will also go low as your brake linings wear.

Reply to
TESTING