1998 Grand Caravan

Just bought a new to me van, 3.3L with O/D and 206,000 Km's, and hope to get some information. It's in great shape, no rust, runs well and gives no hint to any engine/drivability issues at all. My question: Is there anything that is relatively common to this type of van that I should know about, any major problems, or recalls that I should check in to? Any replies will be appreciated,

Dave

Reply to
Dave O

Watch out for your tranny. I know the 1991-95 dodge vans had major tranny issues. I am not sure if they got them fixed or not. I knew someone who put 3 trannies in thier's before they traded it off.

Reply to
ADAM KRACKENBERGER

great combination

we had the 3.3 / 604 in a 91 Dynasty and now in a 93 Voyager

check belt tensioner regularly for seizing of the pivot

change transmission fluid religiously; make sure there's an o-ring on the new filter

keep an eye on transmission cooler lines for leaks at the clamps

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Most of the nasty tranny problems from the early 90s were fixed by this time. The main thing is change that fluid! Take it to a competant tranny shop, and have the fluid changed. Depending upon the amount of driving, I would say every couple of years. This service is one where they drop the pan and replace the internal filter. DO NOT let them pressure flush the tranny. DO NOT let ANY shop lay a hand on that transmission if they want to put anything other than ATF +4 fluid in it. Dexron III with Lube-guard DOES NOT CUT IT. Make sure they drop the pan. DO NOT let them just drain and refill with new fluid.

The only other problem I have heard of in the late 90s was that there is a main pin inside which can wear and come loose. The car will run fine until the pin completely falls out. If this happens at highway speeds, then the force of the pin will cause it to blast through the side of the transmission casing. This is a VERY expensive repair.

I do not know if it is possible for the trans shop to inspect this pin when the pan is dropped, but if it is possible, then you might want to have it checked.

I have a 94 GC with that trans. When mine was rebuilt, a special bracket was installed which absolutely prevents this from happening. The pin may come lose and rattle, but it is NOT possible for it to cause any significant damage as reported above. DC knows full well of the problem, and is NOT prepared to assist customers unless the van is fairly new, and within some mileage limit (110,000 kms I think). After that, you are on your own.

The 3.3 engine is a total work horse. Periodically check the belt tensioner. With mine, the bearing for the tensioning wheel was starting to go, and squeeking quite loudly. That was around 165,000 kms. Replacing the tensioner is a fairly inexpensive repair. Probably cheaper than a tow! If the tensioner fails, you WILL be stranded and need a tow.

Have the front end checked periodically. One fellow locally had ball joints wear out prematurely which caused him a lot of grief. I have had mine regularly inspected, and have yet to come even close to replacing them - so I think this guy was just unlucky. In any case, better safe than sorry.

Other than that, enjoy the ride! I love my mini-van. It holds all my kids, all our stuff, has power to spare, and - touch wood - has never left me stranded.

Happy motor>Just bought a new to me van, 3.3L with O/D and 206,000 Km's, and hope to get

Reply to
NewMan

ATF +4 did not arrive till 2000

ATF +3 is specified, you can use +4 but it's needless expense

nope; unless they take the differential cover off

usually caused by spinning one wheel

if on snowy / icy pavement, do NOT allow wheels to start spinning

when they 'catch', it will shear off the 'underdrive hub'

you need a 15 mm deep socket, 6" extension, swivel, and long extension

go at it from underneath

when descending steep grades, put selector in '3'

this locks torque converter and provides engine braking

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Ok, I'm confused . . . .

Gary,

We ended up buying a rebuilt 604 and installing it after I started having some chest pains again. No heart attack, just a warning. Now we're like that guy in the home loan commercials, in debt up to our eyeballs. Btw, found out the one we took out was a rebuilt unit probably from AAMCO. . . but it lasted 40,000 miles with a 25 year old lead foot driving it in sunny Florida for 25,000 of those miles.

I got it programmed pretty easily out on a back road and it seems to be fine.

I have to either order ATF+4 by the case or go to Grand Juction CO to get it as no one will stock it locally. I can get ATF+3 locally. Is there a way to tell if the rebuilt needs the expensive stuff? The Mopar tag on the case says it was originally built in 95.

Is this something my car can have trouble with? I don't spin tires much anymore, but is it something I should avoid at all costs?

I wish I had this kind of control with my Lebaron. The detents on the transmission shift shaft figure out to be the same as for the vans, but the shifter inside has only P-R-N-D-3-1 positions."3" is a "sport" mode that won't shift into direct until over 50 mph.

Budd

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

Yea, this we know :-)

Reply to
TBone

what did the paperwork with the reman say ?

yes

3 IS 'direct'

just use '3' when descending long grades and save your brakes

***

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

"Dexron III / ATF+3" That's why it concerned me. The date of original manufacture for the transwas 95, an ATF+4 unit, but the rebuilder says otherwise. It's got ATF+4 in it and the upshifts are smooth and kickdowns clean and solid.

I was afraid you'd say that. Darn. My wife has decided to start driving again so I'll have to teach her to avoid tire spin.

My concern was for when I tow a small boat trailer in these mountains or a

1/2 ton trailer load of rubbish out to the transfer station

Thanks.

Budd

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

With a transmission that age, you could probably use ATF +3. What I found is that most trans shops don't want to stock different kinds of fluid. Most shops in my area ONLY have Dexron III, and they add "lubeguard" for Chrysler trannys. I have onyl found one or two shops that have "ATF", and they refuse to stock both +3 and +4, so have decided to buy ATF +4. Not sure if they buy it in bulk or not.

My experience is similar to yours! I have a 94GC. THe original rebuild had Dexron III + lubeguard in it. It ran "ok" but not great. When I recently had the solenoid pack replaced, I had them drop the pan and replace the internal filter, and refill with ATF +4.

My trans now shifts like and absolute dream. Smoother than ever. No more "thump" when dropping into low gear while slowing to a stop. All running perfectly. From my experience, you can't go wrong with ATF +4. How expensive is it really when compared with the cost of pre-mature transmission failure??? ;)

Even though the torque converter is "locked in" to the mechanical system, this just makes it perform like the trannys did in the "old days" before the lock-out torque converter. There will be SOME breaking, but it will be minimal. Automatic tranmissions are NOT designed to provide engine braking like a manual tranmission is.

I agree with the advice though. "3" is the appropriate slection for towing anything through mountains. It will keep the RPMs up slightly and give you the torque you need. It will also prevent needless shifting of the trans under heavy load.

The plain fact is that putting load on the A604 transmission is going to shorten its service life, period. As refined as the design is now, it still sucks when compared to the old tranmissions that were tricked-out with a "shift kit". So much for progress and improvement.

***

Reply to
NewMan

Gary's the group's resident trans expert, imho, though I believe he's no longer in the business full time. He's the one that pointed out to me the symptoms I was having ( second gear limp mode after trans warms up) was probably due to my son's use of Dex III / ATF+3 when he had it before giving it to me.

I'm in Moab, UT . . .that about 4 billion miles from anywhere unless it's time for Jeep Safari, Fat / Skinny Tire Festivals (bicyclists!!!) or Half Marathon. The nearest source in miles for ATF+4 is Grand Junction CO (120 miles, one way), unless I order it from SAlt Lake City Mopar dealerships thru a auto parts store like Car Quest ( $70 / case).

I'm on fixed income due to diasdability and I'm trying to save as much $$$ as I can to pay for that consarn transmission.

You may have saved yourself some grief or you may have delayed the enevitable .. it depends on how long the Dex III was in the transmission. In my case, there was a total of 1 1/2 quarts added over a 15 month period while my son had the car. I never had to add any.

Gee, for me, it's very expensive either way.

To be honest, I miss the solid shifts my 79 D-150 had ( 318, 727, 3.55:1) because the Lebaron is still on the learning curve. Around town, normal driving I can't feel the 1-2, 2-3 shifts and it doesn't hit OD / lockup until 40 or better. If I give it pretty good kick off the line then I feel the shifts.

Excuse me, but this is not my first car, nor is it my first automatic. 727 /

904 transmissions can be manually shifted to lower gears and do a creedible job of retarding on hills AS LONG AS YOU USE YOUR HEAD.

And it also shifts up more harshly and stays in lower gears too long for economy. Have you looked at gas prices lately? Currently $2.35 / gal and when tourist season hits $3 is not impossible here in Moab.

Agreed but since my son got the truck in exchange for the Lebaron, I have to use a trailer until I can find another truck and the money to buy it with. Being able to lock out OD and the installation of a big trans cooler would help a bunch. If I could, I'd plug in a trans controller from a Caravan, a shifter with all shift positions, and a huge trans cooler . . . .I've got the one from the D-150 out in my storage shed. It's as big as the radiator on the Lebaron.

Budd

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

Thanks all,

Dave

Reply to
Dave O

I always thought this mode was for towing. (I know, I laugh everytime I consider towing with the 41te tranny).

As has been said in the thread many times, take care of that transmission. I have an AWD '94 grand caravan that we've had for 4 years.... and it has had

3 transmissions in it.... and it is sitting right now with a bad transmission.

I also have a 1990 with the a-604 ultradrive (now called the 41te). It has developed the same screaming whine and would be sitting as well if I hadn't only paid $100 for it.

Be gentle on the transmission or you'll be sorry.

Reply to
Olaf

Wrong. Have you ever read your owner's manual?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Actually, the owner's manual says to use "D" as you normally would.

That's what worries me. My son had the good intention of trying to get me and his mom a car that would last until . . . .

The other day he told me he wished he'd bought the 73 Dart with slant six and auto that needed some pretty extensive body work instead.

Mine never whined, it would just shift normal until the trans fluid warmed up, then limp home mode.

Yeah, I know. I think I need to find another old Dart/Valiant . . . .

Budd

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

oh, give me a freaking break !

the A604 uses NO over-running clutches

therefore, with the converter locked, it's like a manual

the advice was SPECIFICALLY about descending grades

***>

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I agree, however when the accellerator is released the tcc disengages.

Reply to
Olaf

I think different vans have different settings. I have had 2 vans with the a-604. On my 1994 AWD van there is also an 'overdrive off' button on the dash, which keeps the same shift points as when you're in overdrive except for not shifting to overdrive. But if you shift to drive it changes the shift points rather drastically. It hangs in the lower gears for much longer, like waiting to shift to third until about 40 mph, and it would downshift at about 30 when coming to a stop (quite noticable).

In my latest $100 beater (1990 grand caravan with 3.3 and OD transmission) it has 'normal' shift points when in overdrive, but it switches to the heavy duty shift points when it's in drive. It certainly seems to be designed for more tough-going conditions (like heavy snow or towing).

I hope they've changed on the newer vans. These transmissions are laughable anyway, super heavy duty shift points is kind of inviting trouble. It makes folks think the transmissin is designed well enough for towing.

Now you're talkin'.

:-D

Reply to
Olaf

not in '3', it doesn't

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I'll have to try that. :-) Although none of the CV I've driven have had a 3 position. Must be on the new ones? Mine all had and have P R N OD D L, IIRC

Reply to
Olaf