1998 Grand Caravan

Alas, with all that , you still cant hit F7 or something to check that spellin after you went after mine....LOL

Sexual Intellectuals...

(spelling errors left in on purpose :] )

Bill Putney

Reply to
CAVHBC

I have undergraduate degrees in CS and EE and am currently in a graduate program in structural engineering. I'm a licensed engineer in NY, a fact which you can easily verify at their web site if you are really interested. The only one not telling the truth around here has been you. You claimed that gear ratios possess an attribute called efficiency and you said it was based on physics and mathematics. You have done nothing to show that is true, and I've showed that it is not true, so who is telling the truth?

So, now, what is your educational background?

You missed your true calling ... as a comedian. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I've revised a lot of sh*tty engineering in products I've bought also. I would never claim that it doesn't happen. But if you've actually worked in engineering, you quickly learn that a lot of the sh*tty engineering that gets loose in the world isn't due to engineers, its due to accountants saying, "That's great. Now go redesign it so it'll still pretty much work but cost half as much." And the result of management backing them up.

Riiiiight.... Suuuuuure.....

Education really doesn't matter. Innate common sense is worth as much or more than education alone. Saying "you wouldn't understand it, you're an engineer..." displays a complete lack of innate common sense.

Reply to
Steve

Many times I've been informed that nothing posted in newsgroups by anyone is to be completely believed, even with a claim of a website for verification.

So ... you don't have any automotive degrees at all, if your claim is true, and that means you're no better educated on automotive engineering than I am, though I do have the advantage of grease stained hands.

I studied hard and passed kindergarten after 15 years and Dad was right there beside me to get his degree as well.

IOW, I've mentioned it and you insulted me for it.

Thank you for the compliment, I do try to bring a smile to at least one face a day, even yours.

Now I wonder if your cohort will admit to his education.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Oh man! You baited me. Well, you win. I am forced to admit that you are a master-baiter

Bill Putney

You can easily verify what I wrote using any college level (high school level even) physics text book. Are you claiming they are all wrong also and only you are right? Talk about an ego.

I've never heard of an automotive degree. What university offers that? And this discussion doesn't require anything other than basic physics knowledge. Nothing uniquely automotive about it. How does grease on one's hands contribute to a discussion based on physics? I have greasy hands fairly often, but the grease, while making my skin less dry in the winter, hasn't seemed to contribute much to my understanding of physics. And it doesn't seem to have contributed much to yours either.

I never insulted you regarding your education.

He has in the past, so I suspect he will again. Now if you would just do the same.

I'm still waiting for your physics based analysis of the efficiency of a gear ratio....

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

While that may be true, there are also engineers out there that insist on fixing things till they're broken, like the A-604 transmission.

Take another look at the slams directed at those with high school educations in this thread. I know Max's educational background and he and I have enjoyed a few excellent discussions without anyone holding a diploma over anyone's head.

Not all of the engineers that I have met are willing to admit one of their ilk could screw up, or, worse, admit that they screwed up. Some are so full of their diplomas there's no room for common sense and therfore they can't understand basic concepts or non-technical explanations. Hence the phrase, " you wouldn't understand, you're an engineer."

Personally, I use it only on those that have the misbelief that God should ask them for advice.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

No, I was talking about verifying your claimed education, you know, the one you lord over all lesser (in your opinion) creatures.

There's a lot you've never heard of.

That kind of grease doesn't improve your knowledge of what works and doesn't work either.

Apparently it given me a more realistic education than yours.

Yes, you slammed high school education . . .ya know, that school you had to somehow get thru so you could go to wherever it is went.

I have, but you lack the common sense to understand.

I'm still waiting for you to get back on the original topic, but that'll never happen.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Show even one post where I did that. Oh, I forgot, you are the one that makes wild claims and then can't back any of them up.

True, but much less than what you've not heard of apparently. Again, post one piece of information that shows this automotiv degree that you talk about.

Yes, you've aptly demonstrated that.

Sorry, but I didn't. You again are making a claim that is a lie and which you can't back up.

Why don't you remind us what that original topic was?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

No argument here. But it wasn't what I objected about either.

Well, I'm sure if you cared to do so, you'd find that at least one engineer on here posted his credentials in a "I should know, I'm an...." sort of way. I don't really care what you hold on your walls sayinh where you went to school. If your troubleshooting process is wrong, its wrong, and no credentials will save your ass.

No kidding? So common sense says you need to find a voltage from which to drop, if in fact you are looking for a voltage drop over a circuit. Now, lets assume you KNOW there is a voltage drop in the circuit, but you don't know if its the battery or the circuit itself. Do you repeatedly test the circuit, or do you test the battery under load to see if IT has the voltage drop? The engineers decided there was no reason to set a baseline voltage OR a baseline drop at the battery with which to compare the circuit voltage drop. I'd call that lacking in common sense.

SinceI never said that, maybe you ought to go back and see what I really wrote.

Reply to
Max Dodge

My understanding is that this was the result of Iacocca informing the engineers that the 604 was going to be offered in the fall, and not listening to any nonsense about it not being ready.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

And you would be right if that were only true. Please stop the lying.

Measuring the two voltageas at the same time was sufficient. If perhaps you're referring to the load test that you kept insisting on - no - that was not necessary. All the inverter cared about at any given time in deciding to turn off was the voltatge it was seeing, and obviously it was low enough to do so at some point in time. To determine if it (the low voltage at the socket) was due to low batt. or line drop, one would measure the two (batt. and socket) under the conditions/at the time at which the cutoff occurred - not during a load test of the battery itself where the inverter wasn't involved.

Besides, as I have said several times, with engine on, if it was confirmed that the alternator was working (except in the case of a shorted cell, of which there was no indication in this case), the battery would absolutely not be a factor in a low voltage condition at the source end of the system - and that was verified. The inverter was cutting off with engine on and source at proper voltage, which you also continually denied but which is documented by the original poster. Instead, you would continually point to the fact that it cut off with engine off as if that over-rode the fact that it also cut off with engine on (system source at full proper running voltage).

Now - anyone who wants to argue with the above is either plain ignorant or dishonest - perhaps both.

Bill Putney

You are really into this revisionist thing aren't you? None of us said that there was no reason to determine the voltage at the battery. We simply said that wasn't the most logical place to start troubleshooting. You seem to lack logic as well as common sense.

And, likewise, you should go back and read what we really wrote. You won't find a statement that says that there is no reason to ever test the battery voltage.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Lying and whining are easy and that is why Max and Budd seem to fall back on those techniques. Actually researching a subject and learning are much harder.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

And yet, 15 years later, its still not a terrific transmission.

Reply to
Max Dodge

My God, Matt, are you so dense and full of yourself to not see how rediculously pompous you are? Your very attitude towards others because of a few slips of paper I could duplicate on my computer is the insult towards those with out your lauded wallpaper.

No.

Thank you for the compliment. I agree the grease you use doesn't increase knowledge and I'm glad to have demonstrated the fact. The grease on my hands is from designing and building gear / pulley systems and hands-on knowledge of what works and where, and not some skin softening substance.

Ah, denial, the placebo of the irresponsible.

Try re-reading my original post on the topic.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

No lying about it, you refuted my suggestion time and time again. Sure, you substituted your own cobbled tests, but none that would be a clear indicator. Most involved use of the equipment that might have been failing of its own accord.

LOL, wasn't necessary, although Claire, whom you claimed was the one to follow, described his own version of a load test, using the suspect equipment. Too bad it meant using the suspect port as well.

Unfortunately, the reasoning against the load test you put forth here is not the reason which I had suggested a load test. I suggested it because other indications put the battery as hitting the borderline in its lifetime expectancy. One of those indications was the voltage drop, another was age, and yet another was its nominal state just after being actively charged. A load test would have been easier than checking both voltages simaltaneously, and would have squelched any questions about its ability, thus directly indicating the wiring. Two minutes proving the battery, versus twenty conducting various tests to prove what was already known about the port.

Unfortuinately, the problem only occurred once with the engine on. It repeated with the engine off.

It was documented exactly once. Four times, he noted it happened with engine off.

When the one time appears as an anomoly, the repeating condition does override the one time incident.

Or simply has better troubleshooting technique than someone who waves a diploma over the problem demanding it be fixed of its own accord.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Which might be why you gentlemen are perceived as you are; you haven't actually done the work in the field on a scale which would qualify you as having done the "research" and repetitive learning that expedites these solutions.

Reply to
Max Dodge

The design wasn't properly thought out to begin with. It was over-engineered.

The "dream" was to eliminate a pair of bands, which worked efficiently and take up less space, then replace them with bulky clutches that create oil shear which heats up the fluid. Then they added an unnecessary OD instead of an extra underdriven gear and a lower numerical axle ratio. In a spur gear design, like that in the differential, lower numerical ratio designs are simplified, so there's no excuse in that area.

IOW, it was fixed until it was broken.

Something to think about as a corollary: the current design of the anvil didn't just happen, it developed over many centuries from a flat rock to a complex tool, but it is not over-engineered.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Except I suggested a load test, not simply dropping probes on the posts and saying, "wow, its got 12v+, it should be ok!!"

Reply to
Max Dodge