1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 won't start

I recently replaced the battery because it was dead, now when I turn the key I get 1 click at the starter. It seems like the starter is not kicking over. I
don't want to buy one and find out it was not the starter. Any ideas?
99 dodge ram 1500 5.9
--
blaze80
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Are you SURE the new battery is AOK? I got a bad new battery once.
Could also be a bad cable. Some of them get corroded under the insulation right next to the connector. I'd check for sufficient voltage at the starter motor and work my way back if you aren't getting it.

blaze80 wrote:

Excellent suggestion on checking the cables. And, if you can remove it, most places like O'Reilly's or Autozone can test the starter to be sure before you buy a new one.
blaze80;2606256 Wrote: > I recently replaced the battery because it was dead, now when I turn the > key I get 1 click at the starter. It seems like the starter is not > kicking over. I don't want to buy one and find out it was not the > starter. Any ideas? > > 99 dodge ram 1500 5.9
I agree with the other replies about checking the cables.
A few months back, I installed a new battery and had similar symptoms. In my case, it was that I simply didn't tighten the cables enough for good enough contact.
I guess I had been lazy and wanted to make sure that the battery worked before dogging everything down. I almost was ready to take the battery back before I realized I just hadn't tightened the terminals enough. Lesson learned!
I hope that your problem is just as easily solved. -- Rik
--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the