1999 Dodge ram 2500 Diesel

I have a short bed Dodge Ram 2500 24valve diesel 4x4. I recently hit a telephone pole dead center. I replaced everything that was wrong. I did not have any problems with the brakes intill just recently. I
checked there is no fluid that is leaking that I can see. If I pump the brakes it will build pressure but it only last for a miniute, then the pedal will go right to the floor not appling any brakes at all. As you can imagine this is quite the problem. What possibly could be wrong? Please give me an idea as this truck is my everyday transportation, and as of right now I do not have the funds to take it to a shop.
first check the brakes master cylinder to see if u are low on fluid if you are check to see if u have a bad brake line check to see if u have a bad caliper if u dont see anything check the master cylinder u may hafto take the mounting bolts off and look at the back of the master cylinder to see if it is wet with brake fluid if it is then u have a bad master cylinder and that would cause it to pump up and as you are holding the brake peddle it slowly fand to the floor and pump it up again and hold it and fade to the floor again hope this helps
It sounds like a bad master cylinder. What type of anti-lock brakes does it have?
"jryamaha" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
Sounds like it could be a master cylinder, but check to make sure that you aren't losing vaccume pressure anywhere as well. Did you replace your vaccume pump after the wreck? What about the lines? If it was a small leak you may still be generating enough pressure for some mild braking but not for prolonged useage. A master cylinder sounds like your best bet though.
A vacuum leak should not cause that problem. It would make the pedal rock hard like manual brakes, not go clear to the floor.
<diesel snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Tbone, I didn't follow the thread, and I'm not sure how familiar you are with these trucks. Typically, IIRC that generation of Cummins Ram has hydraulically assisted brakes; the vacuum pump would have nothing to do with them. I know my '00 has hydraulic assist.
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

My '99 2500 diesel has hydroboost brakes. It runs off the power steering pump. When I stand on the brake pedal hard my power steering gets very heavy.
--
Ken

Hydroboost started on the Dodge/Cummins in 1997. My '96 was vacuum, lot's of guys with the older trucks are excited about changing to hydroboost, I'm not sure why it's a big deal to them, both systems seemed to work fine for me.
I'm not all that familiar with the diesel models. The OP said that his brake pedal was going to the floor and giving no braking action and there were no leaks but if he pumped it a few times, he would get limited braking action. I posted that it is most likely the master cylinder and asked what type of anti-lock it had (just in case). Another poster said that it looked like the master cylinder as well but it could be due to the vacuum pump. I assumed that he was referring to the vacuum boost (if this model uses that type) and said that a vacuum leak would not cause the pedal to go to the floor.