1999 Dodge Ram Brake Question

Hi, My son has 1999 Ram that has brake issues. The right rear (shoes) intermittently hangs up and does not release completely. Inspection shows nothing wrong ie emergency brake cable, springs, etc. Another symptom is that the right front caliper sometimes does not release totally and pulls to the right. Truck has ABS and was wondering if there is also a proportioning valve and could that be the culprit?

Any help would be greatle appreciated.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Smith

Remove the caliper and check/grease the slide pins. If they're pitted, get new ones (and grease them before installation)

There is a load-sensing proportioning valve on the '99s, but that proportions hydraulic pressure to both rear brakes. It's mounted on the driver's side frame rail, over the rear axle, and an arm connects from the axle to the valve.

On the sticking rear, I'd start with a new wheel cylinder (might as well do both - they're cheap).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence