1999 Dodge Ram Van 1500 3.9L won't start

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

This is a longshot and may not even apply to a '99, but... How do you know for sure its getting fuel? My '89 Caravan (4-cyl 2.5 litre Chrysler engine) once quit on me- plenty of spark, no codes, fuel pump could be heard to start, but no go. Turned out to be the (I think its called the Hall Effect Sensor, or ignition oickup coil) located on a little plate in the bottom of the distributor housing- prevents the fuel pressure control valve from opening unless it senses engine revolutions. Replaced the plate (cheap fix IIRC about $40 at the time), end of problem.
Just a thought.
Jimmy
On 3/1/2011 6:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@forteinc.com wrote:

He shot it with ether, which should have caused at least a hint of starting... I've actually kept engines running for a few seconds (10 to 15) with careful sequential sprays of ether. So fuel is probably not the problem.
My money is on either the spark is weaker than he thinks, or that it is horribly out of time.
But I'd also consider doing a compression test, to eliminate the rare case of a broken cam or gear.

--
I'm never going to grow up.

I had the front of the motor off and it would have showed if there was a broken gear or cam.

with fuel, air and spark the only other reason the motor wont run is if it jumped timing. did you check the timing marks on the timing gear and crank when you had the front of the motor off? ie. check to see if it will line up for tdc. this happens when the engine diesals when it is shut off. or back fires loudly, happens when the timing chain is stretched a little.
timing control modual would be my last guess, it may have the timing advanced or retarded to much. so you can have spark, fuel and still get no bang.
lol just had one other oddball idea, the distribitor shaft is gear drive, if the timing marks on the cam and crank match up pull the distribitor shaft and take a look at the gear teeth on the end of the shaft look for any chipped teeth. if it has any then you may need a new cam shaft. and it will still have spark the whole time just not at the rigth times you need them.
wes
Here's something for you:
I recently worked on a 97 Ram with a 5.2 engine in it... CPS wires had been chewn by a rat, so it had no spark. Funny thing was, when I first tried to run it, the engine dieseled when i sprayed ether in it.. with no spark.

Hi, I am sorry for not getting back sooner but was not online due to working long hours.
I know there is fuel because, there is 42 pounds of pressure at the fuel rail. On my van it has a "cam sensor" and it shows to be good. Thanks for your thoughts because I am still baffled at this even though I have worked on vehicles for over 30 years.
responding to http://www.motorsforum.com/dodge_trucks/1999-dodge-ram-van-1500-3-9l-won-t-start-43123-.htm , Aaron wrote:

Hi Dale, Just wondered what you figured out on this one since I'm having the same issue with the same engine...If you have the fix, please let me know thanks!
Where are spraying the ether?
replying to Dale, DaddySting wrote: coil could be weak or crankshaft positioning sensor is bad
If in the fuel ports no spark. In the air cleaner same. If you know you are fueling and you have a spark, now you have a problem. Remove a plug and ch eck the spark the old faction way. Put the ether in the cylinder put the p lug back if you have spark that should do something.