1999 Durango 5.9L Engine Malfunction Questino???

Gentlemen;

My D with 120K miles has started doing something strange and I don't know what might be causing it. Before I bring it to the dealer I thought I would try asking here.

It's been running quite well. However, about 1-2 weeks ago it started cranking very slowly. I thought it might be the battery so I've been carrying around a self-contained jumper pack. However, here's how the symptoms usually go:

I try to crank it and it barely or does NOT turn over. Sounds like its coming up on the compression cycle and stops cranking. However, when I connect the jumper pack it then seems to turn over normally then starts.

Once started, is won't continue running. If I heal & toe it I can keep the revs up sufficient to keep it running. But, when I shift into drive it will stall. But this time it cranks over just fine and usually starts. Then, when I back down my driveway into the road and stop to change direction, it stalls. Another restart. I drive

Reply to
bobmct

Try disconnecting the battery while it is running. If it dies then it is the alternator

***
Reply to
GeekBoy

Could be simply the battery is ending its life cycle. If this is the original battery you are puhing 6 years which is good. Hmm pull the old battery cable trick when running puts your electronics in a risk of frying. No battery means no buffer in you charging circuit, a spike can put undue stress in the circuit = smoke. A simple volt meter accros the terminals will show if you alternator is working, + 14 volts should be the average push to the battery.

Reply to
Scott S.

Gentlemen - some additional progress information...

Taking your advise I suspected the battery and/or charge system. The battery, being 3 years (it was replaced once) old was replaced this morning and the alternator seems to be pushing 14+ volts just fine.

None the less, I replaced the battery and once connected the underhood light came on bright and shiney. OK I said. After securing the cables I went inside and swithed on the ignition. NADA! Not even an odometer reading. Out of frustration I then connected my jumper pack again and turned the starter switch again. This time it started.

Any other ideas as to where to look?

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
bobmct

I WOULD NOT disconnect the battery while the engine is running as this will most likely damage many electronic components, like the various computers, which can be very costly to replace.

Reply to
Ed

IF YOU PUT IN A NEW CHARGED BATTERY & had to jump it, your battery must be bad or you hooked it up backwords.

Reply to
RICHARD

Was the battery you installed fully charged? Has anybody checked the starter draw? If the new battery was fully charged and ya need 2 batteries to start this thing you either have a bad cable or your starter is on it's ass imo.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Anything that decreased the amperage to the starter and ignition system will cause these synmptoms. Bad battery is the first place to look. But since your battery was only 3 years old, and the synptoms conitue, that's not it. Check all your cables and connections. It's common for a battery cable to corrode beneath the insulation, especially the neg cable. Try stripping back a few inches and see what it looks like. Also, check all your ground connections. Take them apart, clean, and re-install.

Reply to
.boB

I'm with .boB on this one. Sure the starter diagnoses explains the double supply needed to start the vehicle, but it doesn't account for the stalling. Degraded wiring would explain that simptom as well as the starting issues. Let me know how you make out.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Aston

Well, heres the follow up:

I had to use the booster to start this Durango TWICE following the installation of the new battery. And the cables looked good and the connectors were cleaned and I used anti-corrosion spray, etc. Since then it has been running just FINE. Just like new. I still don't understand why the initial problem after the battery swap though.

Now, if I could only do something about the god-awful gas mileage....

Bob

Reply to
bobmct

Trade it for a Prius! I couldn't help myself! :)

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

Excellent suggestion. Now, care to lend me $$$$$.

Bob

Reply to
bobmct