1999 Durango Differential

I have a 99 Durango with about 104K miles. There has been a noise from the rear end for some time and the Dealer "thinks" something is going in in the rear end. but will need to tear the diff apart to determine, which seems logical; however, I would like to be certain before I go to the expense, which they estimate around a grand. Has anyone experienced a differential problem and if so could you describe what was happening i.e., noise, etc and the outcome. The noise in my truck seems to be getting louder.

Reply to
urickcw

I have a 99 Durango with about 104K miles. There has been a noise from the rear end for some time and the Dealer "thinks" something is going in in the rear end. but will need to tear the diff apart to determine, which seems logical; however, I would like to be certain before I go to the expense, which they estimate around a grand. Has anyone experienced a differential problem and if so could you describe what was happening i.e., noise, etc and the outcome. The noise in my truck seems to be getting louder.

Reply to
urickcw

Well noise that is getting worse isn't good. It could be anything. Bad bearings, gears losing teeth, lot's of possibilities. How does the noise behave when you change speeds? Does it get louder as speed rises? Louder under power or coast? Changes when turning?

A grand to tear down and rebuild isn't bad. If the rest of the vehicle is in good shape I would do it.

Reply to
Steve W.

First thing is to drain the oil from it into a *clean* container and examine the oil for contamination such as metallic particles. A professional analysis may be worth the cost too...

Most diff noise is bearings going out, usually because people don't regularly check the diff oil level and the seal on the pinion leaks.

Just pulling the cover off can usually tell you what's up, without having the tear down the entire thing.

Reply to
PeterD