1999 Ram 1500...lots of problems!!

Page 4 of 4
wrote:

and here I was begiining to think there was hope for you after all......
;^)
Mike

That was those heated seats making you all warm and fuzzy inside.
beekeep
beekeep wrote:

It takes time to build a reputation and it also takes time to lose one.
Detroit lost the perceived edge in quality and design in the 80's and has never gotten it back. US manufacturers don't look far enough ahead, sticking to tried and true and ignoring the future. Hybrids are a good example.
Remember the first Hondas and Toyotas in the US in the later 60's? They were jokes! I remember lots of automotive types mocking those vehicles, and they were junk! But they kept at it, and especially concentrated on quality. You ended up with Japanese makes known for inexpensive price and high quality.
Japanese cars aren't any cheaper today than US cars, but the reputation they made (and the reputation Detroit lost) is still with us.
SMH
Mike Simmons wrote:

I've read of many quality surveys over the past few years and they all seem to echo what you say.
US car quality has made huge strides forward compared to the bad old days of the 80's when US manufactured autos seemed to bottom out.
However, US makes still lag a bit behind the Japanese (Toyota is the generally acknowledged king of quality), but the gap is apparently closing.
European makes are much farther down in quality from the close US and Japanese makes.
SMH

it.
when you buy an American made vehicle

many
That requires long term thinking that simply doesn't exist with American greed for short term profit.

vehicle
many
Unfortunately most of that can be attributed to short term American business thinking. Make that extra dollar today and screw tomorrow.

I just had repairs made on my '99 2500. The same thing was going on (ABS, brake and speedometer). The speed sensor was bad, but so were the rear brakes. You might get them checked out as well.