1999' RAM "Speed Sensor Malfunction"

My speed gauge has been working erratically. I checked my truck's computer with a code reader, and it says "speed sensor malfunction".

I would like to repair this DIY if possible. Just what is involved?

thanks

i PS there is more BS going on, the ABS and BRAKE lights are on. I would like to start with the speed gauge, as this is already diagnosed and is likely most straightforward.

Reply to
Ignoramus12589

All the problems are caused by a defective speed sensor in the rear differential. I had the dealer replace mine when it went bad cause it was still under warranty.

But it does not seem too difficult.

Reply to
Ed J

Unplugging an electrical connector, removing one bolt, and pulling the old sensor out of the rear diff. housing. Then reverse the procedure to re-install.

Should take you all of 5 minutes, including clean-up :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Aha, that's very interesting to know. Thank you. I will try to find out how to replace one.

Ignoramus32489

Beautiful! Are these sensors sold at auto parts stores like Autozone? I will give them a call right now.

igor

Reply to
Ignoramus32489

I doubt it. I think that it is a dealer only part.

Reply to
TBone

Actually, I just called autozone and they do stock this part. $26, it is in stock.

Ignoramus32489

Nope - I've seen listings for it aftermarket

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

It figures. I bought mine at the dealer and probably spent way to much and they had to order the damn thing as well. It seems that the 97 1500 uses a different one than most models.

Reply to
TBone

Hmmm... Wagner part# F121013 - rockauto.com lists for $27.79

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yea, probably about 1/2 of what I paid, I really don't remember how much it was anymore.

Reply to
TBone