1999' RAM "Speed Sensor Malfunction"

My speed gauge has been working erratically. I checked my truck's computer with a code reader, and it says "speed sensor malfunction".
I would like to repair this DIY if possible. Just what is involved?
thanks
i PS there is more BS going on, the ABS and BRAKE lights are on. I would like to start with the speed gauge, as this is already diagnosed and is likely most straightforward.
All the problems are caused by a defective speed sensor in the rear differential. I had the dealer replace mine when it went bad cause it was still under warranty.
But it does not seem too difficult.
Ed J edj22 at attglobal dot net

Aha, that's very interesting to know. Thank you. I will try to find out how to replace one.

Unplugging an electrical connector, removing one bolt, and pulling the old sensor out of the rear diff. housing. Then reverse the procedure to re-install.
Should take you all of 5 minutes, including clean-up :)
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:26:50 GMT, Tom Lawrence

Beautiful! Are these sensors sold at auto parts stores like Autozone? I will give them a call right now.
igor
I doubt it. I think that it is a dealer only part.

"Ignoramus32489" <ignoramus32489@NOSPAM.32489.invalid> wrote in message

Actually, I just called autozone and they do stock this part. $26, it is in stock.

Nope - I've seen listings for it aftermarket
It figures. I bought mine at the dealer and probably spent way to much and they had to order the damn thing as well. It seems that the 97 1500 uses a different one than most models.

"Tom Lawrence" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Hmmm... Wagner part# F121013 - rockauto.com lists for $27.79
Yea, probably about 1/2 of what I paid, I really don't remember how much it was anymore.