2 Cummings questions

How can you tell the difference between Turbo Diesel and HO Turbo Diesel? Would the VIN have different number?
Before I have heard 2 distinctive engine sounds coming from Dodge Rams.
One type is the regular clanky noise same as you would hear in either Ford or Chevy. The other is like you would hear in a big rig such as Freightliner or similar big rig.
Anyone can tell why the same engine would have such different sounds?
Thanks
GB

There is no 'g' in Cummins! I think the 8th digit in the VIN is a C in an HO.
FMB

My bad..kinda like no 'I' in team, but there is an E and a M ",ME"

Looking I see it is the 5th digit. Thanks!

GeekBoy wrote:

Uh...no.

Knowing the year you're talking about would help... for the 2nd gen Rams ('98-'02), 6=SO, 7=HO, in the 8th position of the VIN. For 3rd gen trucks ('03+), 6=SO, C=HO

Exhaust modifications, for one.
Secondly, the 12V and 24V engines (used in '89 thru '02 trucks) were much louder than the current common-rail engines, due mainly to the new engine's use of pilot injection.

Those are the years I want. Thanks a bunch!

SO after market? Looks like I will be getting diesel soon. I want mine to sound more like a rig than a clattering noise maker. Any suggestions?
Thanks again.

How's this sound?
http://home.earthlink.net/~tlawren349/Aeroturbine.mp3
That's an '03 engine with the stock muffler replaced with an aeroturbine.

You know I took a 01' 6 speed out on a test run yesterday and it did sound very much like that.
Thanks for the info...I have to remember 'Aeroturbine'
GB

GeekBoy wrote:

Have a friend, that knows how to write, write it down for you..
About the sounds you would like to know about on the cummins ??? The TURBO has a ring that you take out to get the loud Whistle noise you are looking for like the Big Trucks .......... If I can be of more help get back to me
peterjr @grm.net