2 part question: Dodge 1 ton Dually Diesel clutch problem

Page 1 of 2
I am running a 1998 3500 Laramie dually with old style Cummins diesel engine..... I 'm the original owner and havn't done any modifications to
anything..... Truck looks like the day it was bought and is used as a holiday puller only and has 100 thousand Kilometers on it (55 thousand miles?). I have 3.73 rear end and a 5 speed manual transmission. I was pulling my fifth wheel holiday trailer this weekend into a very strong headwind... In order to keep up with traffic and not be a menace to the road. I downshifted to 4th gear and stayed at about 2700 rpm at 60-65 miles per hour...when I found level areas or downhill areas I would shift to 5th gear as it would allow... Suddenly the shifter became very tough to move between 4th and fifth...as I came to a small town I slowed and couldn't get the gearshift to go into any gear at all. The only way I could get it to go into gear was shut the engine off and it would slip into any gear...I basically shifted without the aid of the clutch after that by finding the right RPM... I managed to do that to the campsite. After the truck cooled overnight, I fired it up and it shifted like the day I bought it except wouldn't go into reverse unless I shut it off. Throughout the weekend it seemed to straighten out except sometimes 3rd gear grinds as though I haven't depressed the clutch fully and it would eventually allow the shifter to go into reverse. I have no slipping of the clutch and no odor of clutch burning. When I let out the clutch everything seems fine and moves great...but shifting when hot after pulling is almost impossible. I had a friend pull my trailer home with his truck while I followed as I know that my truck is now incapable of pulling any weight.
I called a Dodge dealership and he suggests that it is the "throw out bearing" or "release bearing" in the clutch is on its way out? Can anyone add to this thread that has had the same symptoms?
2nd part to this question is that I am thinking of adding diesel modifications to this engine to give it more HP. This would aid in not having to downshift and upshift and perhaps putting less stress or heat on the clutch while pulling.
I figure this will be about a 4 thousand dollar fix and update, but am willing to pay the costs if I know it's going to work. Thanks....Jimi
I doubt your clutch is to blame, due to mileage, but stranger things have happened. Another thing for you to consider is that the 5spd is known to have a problem with the "5th gear nut" backing off. Essentially, this means the nut that holds the 5th gear on its shaft loosens until it makes problems. There is a fix for this, where they made the splines and thread longer on the shaft. There is a replacement shaft that is the fix.
--
Max

means
I'd go straight to the hydraulic clutch set up and see if it's working right. Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging.
Al

Nice call AL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have
thread
If that were the case then how would he be able to stop?

Carefully
LOL! I guess that the problem was in the hydraulics but the symptoms that he described did not look that way.
"Roy" < snipped-for-privacy@home.net> wrote in message

That's why this group is pretty cool. Ya get a bunch off different thoughts. Usually sombody will hit it.

But in the process of providing suggestions, some of us will be lambasted and called liars. :)
punkin:

Absolutely. Didn't put you in a very good light when you did that, punkin, not when you lied about someone else's suggestions. Not good.
--
This explains it ALL!!! He was home schooled and his mommy
made his GES diploma for him out of needle point, to go

Roy, did you say something? I swear I heard sounds comnig from some where.

Nope, that was me. I had a batch of White Castles yesterday and now I have some serious gas.....
Denny

Well, that would not only explain the noise, but also the rotting dead gerbal up Reststop Ricky's ass smell

Nope, that couldn't be it. My shit don't stink..... Just ask the guys at the parts counter...
Denny

I hit Wendy's for a bacon cheeseburger tonight. Not bad at all.
Roy

I thought it might have been a zipper, then some slurping. No spitting.
Skippy:

Skippy confirms...

Was him alright.
--
his explains it ALL!!! He was home schooled and his mommy
made his GES diploma for him out of needle point, to go

Damn Denny, knock it off with the "wind works!"
wrote in message

I still hear that slurping sound. But that's about all it has to offer. Your right Larry, nobody gives a damn what it says anymore. Ya sorta bitch slap it on the way by.

But if we bitch slap it, it may cum after us for things other then harassment.