200+ miles of washboard = "need new shocks"

Regulars know, gotta 2001 Dak club cab 4x4.

Well, something like 200+ miles of the most washboardy roads in existence (Australian Outback) have done the death knell to my shocks.

So, lookin' for new ones. Got at least another year here, so need something tough, but that's suitable for paved road miles as well.

Never had ta buy shocks before, so any eddication is gratefully accepted.

Hubby was reading the other day that auto manufacturers send their 4x4s here to test their ruggedness against these roads. Don't doubt it at all. Some tricky driving. Deep ripples in "bull dust" (which is really, really fine dirt) makes life interesting. Gotta do 35-40mph to even out the bumps some (Mythbusters nonwithstanding), but at that speed the backend does quite a bit of sliding if I don't get the path exactly right.

Could see from previous tracks that even the more usual 4x4s (Toyota Landcruisers) have the same problems :)

Anyway, despite the roads, had a good weekend, at the end of dirt road "shortcut" was a Deluxe Spa Room for me and my SO.

... any advice on good shocks for my truck, to withstand a certain amount of abuse but still give a good road ride (yea, cake + eat), thanks!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

i use the Monroe gas magnums on my 2002 ram1500 4x4. There cheep and work well; cost around $32.00US each.

Reply to
mpberti

Standard shocks (especially stock) won't withstand that kind of abuse. At a minimum, I would look at the Rachno RS5000. I've had them on my truck for quite a while, and I like them. Quality part, reasonable cost. Watch for places like Summit to have a 4 for the cost of 3 sale.

Reply to
.boB