2000 Cummins Crank Position Sensor

Well, I'm close to making a mess of things. 2000 2500 Cummins. I'm trying to remove and replace the CPS (for the second time now at

135K). Got everything out of the way, and could turn the CPS left and right, but it wouldn't budge outward. More ooomph, and soon things start breaking on it. Now I'm down to not much left to pull on or turn. I've soaked in PB Blaster and that hasn't helped. I'm thinking my next step will be to tap a 1" or 1.5" 3/8" bolt in there and trying to pull it out that way. Any better ideas? I've been wanting a right angle drill anyway :o) .....

I hate 1 hour jobs that take all day in the cold...

Thanks in advance.

Jack

Reply to
jackvt80

Hate to answer my own post, but I'll do it for those who run into the same problem. It worked. I drilled and tapped a 5/16" bolt into the CPS. At first I still couldn't budge it, then it occured to me to tap it in slightly with a hammer. It moved, so I knew I was making progress. Finally got it out. A lot of corrosion in there. Couldn't fit new CPS in... had to file off some of the corrosion to make it work. Would have liked to run a steel brush in there, but just too much junk going in the oil if I did. I'm sure I'll have the same problems in another 75K or so.

Jack

Reply to
jackvt80

I think it was moved in the next year

Hate to answer my own post, but I'll do it for those who run into the same problem. It worked. I drilled and tapped a 5/16" bolt into the CPS. At first I still couldn't budge it, then it occured to me to tap it in slightly with a hammer. It moved, so I knew I was making progress. Finally got it out. A lot of corrosion in there. Couldn't fit new CPS in... had to file off some of the corrosion to make it work. Would have liked to run a steel brush in there, but just too much junk going in the oil if I did. I'm sure I'll have the same problems in another 75K or so.

Jack

Reply to
GeekBoy