2000 dakota engine swap

i have a 2000 dakota with a 4.7 and it needs to be replaced. can i swap the 4.7 with a 5.9 without much trouble?
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.dodge.trucks /
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

According to some here, a engine swap is taboo. <GBMFG>

Just a guess, but I'd think that the computers were different?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

I think the block is different too.
JAM
Bill Dukenfield wrote:

Now that's funny.
--
Ken

LOL

No shit? Might be why they're different engines, too, ya think?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Not like the old 318 and 360. They were the same block.
There will be much trouble trying to sub a 5.9 for a 4.7. I wouldn't recommend it, unless you have nothing better to do with your time.
JAM
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:49:46 +0000, Bill Dukenfield wrote:

have some real fun and cram a viper v10 under the hood. <GBMFG>
--
Chris

the 5.9 will fit under the hood but there will be a few difficulties. pcm and motor mounts will have to change and possibly the transmission. what tranny do you have. a good many parts will interchange between the two. your current radiator, alternator, a/c compressor, etc should swap over.
rather than the 5.9 liter 360 have you considered a 5.2 liter 318 swap? that would actually be easier and give you plenty of power to move a dakota about town. there are tons of dakotas with 318's in the junkyards so tracking down parts would be easier.
try this url http://www.engine-swaps.com/ they have parts to even help you shoehorn a 440 into a dakota. IMHO the 5.2 would be the most bang for the buck in a dakota. michael

Definitely the transmission. He's got a 45RFE, which isn't going to bolt up to an LA block. He'll need a 4xRE (not to mention a 45RFE isn't going to work with a PCM for a 5.2/5.9, either).

i was pretty sure of that, but not 100%. i have never owned one of those newfangledy small v-8's. i bet finding a salvaged dakota with a 5.2 for a donor vehicle would be easy enough though.
both of my dakotas have the magnum v-6 and if they ever get tired i am going to just rebuild the stock blocks and just add a some wheaties to them. the combination of fuel mileage and dependability of my two dakotas would be foolish to change too much. when i need extra ponys i just hop into one of my full size trucks. michael
rekelley wrote:

Possibly. The 5.9 was a factory option, so you know it will fit. The best way to do a swap like that is to find a donor that you can pull all the parts from. There were very few Dakotas built in 2000 with a 5.9, so finding a donor might be tough. OTOH, there are lots of 5.9 Rams built. The motor mounts might be differant, but the rest of the parts should be pretty much the same.
The transmissions were distinctly differant between the 4.7 and 5.9. The 4.7 had a 5 speed, with 2 second gears and an OD. The 5.9 had a simple 4 speed OD. They probably bolt up without problems, but the ECU's will be differant. You'll probably need the donor trans as well.
--
.boB
2006 FXDI hot rod

Even if it is possible, do you really want to feed that much fuel into it? I had a '02 Dakota 5.9 and it was slightly better than 12MPG. Now I have a '99 Grand Cherokee 4.7L and I like the 4.7 better. Better mileage. More top end power but less low end grunt.
Of course, it will cost a lot more to rebuild the 4.7 when it wears out, which might be why you asked the question to begin with.
If you get a crashed donor truck and have enough time, it can certainly be done, but there has to be better alternatives.
"Christopher D. Thompson" wrote:

Ignorant superstition, nothing more.
JAM
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:48:40 +0000, Christopher D. Thompson wrote:

i did not post this, dont know why its showing as from me, unless someone is hyjacking my name and nospam fake email.
--
Chris