2000 Dakota Vehicle Speed Sensor

Hi, I have a 2000 3.9L Dodge Dakota that seems to be having a malfunctioning vehicle speed sensor. It shifts at too high RPMs. No other symptoms (speedometer, ABS, etc all functioning correctly). How do I replace the VSS? The more detailed the better. Thanks, ADAM

Reply to
00Dakota

If the speedo and ABS are functioning, then the VSS is fine (that's located on top of the rear differential). What may be an issue (and this is a 'maybe', because any number of things could cause erratic shifting) is the transmission's output speed sensor, which is located on the side of the transmission, in the overdrive section (furthest back, or away from the engine). It's a two-wire sensor. You unplug the electrical, unscrew the sensor, make sure the O-ring comes out, screw the new sensor (with new O-ring) back in, tighten, re-plug the electrical, and replace any transmission fluid that leaked out.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

"" wrote: > > other symptoms (speedometer, ABS, etc all functioning > correctly). How > > do I replace the VSS? The more detailed the better. > Thanks, > > If the speedo and ABS are functioning, then the VSS is fine > (that's located > on top of the rear differential). What may be an issue (and > this is a > 'maybe', because any number of things could cause erratic > shifting) is the > transmission's output speed sensor, which is located on the > side of the > transmission, in the overdrive section (furthest back, or away > from the > engine). It's a two-wire sensor. You unplug the electrical, > unscrew the > sensor, make sure the O-ring comes out, screw the new sensor > (with new > O-ring) back in, tighten, re-plug the electrical, and replace > any > transmission fluid that leaked out.

The codes from the check engine light say that there is a malfunctioning vehicle speed sensor. Would this problem be include in that message? Thanks for the help?

Adam

Reply to
00Dakota

Hey 00Dakota,

We JUST covered this same topic only a week ago for a 99 Dakota. Try using Google b/c you can often find your topic there with much detail.

here is what we posted last week

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

EggRaid