2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Front Wheel Hub Assy.

2000 Dodge 1500 2WD V8 5.9l 141k miles

Got a grinding noise which I pinpointed to bad front wheel bearing, not sure which side yet. This model and year has the sealed units. It has the rear wheel abs. Here a link to the part:

My questions: I found a few other posts on this newsgroup about similar issues. What I am unclear about is the actual replacement procedure. There is one big nut holding the hub assembly in the steering knuckle. Is it as simple loosing the nut? Should I then be able to pull the hub assembly out? Will I need a hub puller? I don't have to take the steering knuckle out, do I? Will I need a press to put the new hub assembly into the steering knuckle?

I guess the decision I want to make is between doing it myself or bringing it to the shop. I just replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends myself, now this. I hope after this my front suspension is good to go for another 100k miles.

Thanks in advance. Axel

Reply to
axel

Jack it up. Pull the tire. Unbolt the brake caliper and set it out of the way. (don't disconnect the brake line). Now take off the caliper mount bracket. Then pull the rotor off the hub. Remove the big nut in the middle of the hub. Now the hub should slide off. It may take a couple smacks with a dead blow hammer but you shouldn't need a puller. I have seen some with a locking tab that bends up to lock the nut in place. Check for that. If you have one just bend it down to take the nut off. Then put it back on when you install the new hub. Bend it back into place to match the new nut. DON'T ADJUST THE NUT ONCE YOU TORQUE IT DOWN!

Reverse to install the new one.

When you install the new one you simply torque the big nut to 185 Ft.lbs. The caliper mount bracket bolts are torqued to 130 Ft.lbs. The brake caliper mounting bolts are 24 Ft.lbs.

Should take about 30 minutes if you have the proper wrenches on hand.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Dimbo Spams

Steve. You're close but you forgot to mention the three bolts coming in from the back that holds the hub assy to the knuckle...

Denny

Reply to
Denny

From the post "There is one big nut holding the hub assembly in the steering knuckle. Is it as simple loosing the nut?"

If this is really a 2WD with rear wheel ABS, It uses a hub that is just about the same as the old two bearing units. Except they use a unique bearing that has a twin outer race and are a sealed unit. The large nut in the center is the clue to the oddball hub.

If it didn't have that nut then it would be a three bolt hub. OR the OP has a 4WD and doesn't know it?

look like this one.

Reply to
Steve W.

I didn't catch the 2wd part.. I'm getting old I guess.....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Hey, It beats the hell out of the alternative ;-)

Reply to
Steve W.

Steve. You're close but you forgot to mention the three bolts coming in from the back that holds the hub assy to the knuckle...

Denny

...and he fergot the part about the beer.....

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Any suggestions on removing a seized hub?

Reply to
bob.hohimer