2000 dodge ram 1500 quad cab rear door problem

Hi everyone. My husband is having a problem opening the rear door on his truck. The bottom latch will not disengage so the door will not open. He removed the inside door panel, checked the rod that goes down to the lever arm. everything looks ok but the door won't open.He says that he thinks its something to do with the bottom latch mechanism which is mounted to the under side of the door but sice he can't open the door he can't get to it. he unbolted the screws that hold the latch mechanism to the underside of the door but since the door will not open there is no way to remove the screws completly.He previously had the same problm a few years ago when the truck was still under warranty and the dealer fixed it. It is no longer under warranty. Is there a way to open the rear door so that he can get to the bottom latch mechanism thats is mounted to the underside of the rear door to fix or replace it? thanks for your help.

Reply to
Jamielouise

IIrc this topic has been discussed a couple of years ago. I don't have the answer and if you don't get one you might try Google, it has to be there.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I stole this post from the TDR, maybe it'll help.

There is a cable that connects the inside door handle to the door jamb handle. I pulled the door jamb handle out by removing the two torx screws. On the back of the door jamb handle you will see a bracket that the cable attaches. The cable has a plastic sleeve on the end where the cable goes into the bracket. On my truck the plastic sleeve broke causing slack in the cable. I was able to unbolt the latch rods from the the handle and remove the cable as well. I then drilled several small holes in each large end of the plastic shield. Then I used small pieces of wire to tie the plastic sleeve back together. I used a plastic wire tie to secure the cable back to the handle bracket. I rebolted the latch rods to the handle and reinstalled. Everything works. The only other alternative is remove the door panel and replace the cable. Be careful you don't drop the latch rod bolt down the door, and be careful you don't bend or damage the latch rods. Also watch the spring on the handle. You may want to put tape around the handle to prevent any scratches.

If that isn't it there was much discussion about penetrating oil, lots of time to soak in and kicking the daylights out of the door from the inside or beating it with a 10 pound dead blow hammer. I think I need to go out and lube mine now before it sticks...

Reply to
BigIronRam

there is nothing the matter with the cable it works fine. The problem is in the latch mechanism unit that is mounted to the underside of the door. the claw (thats what i call it) won't disengage. The rod that goes down to the lever arm and the lever arm itself all seem to be working properly. It seems to be the latch mechanism unit which is mounted to the underside of the rear door. He can't figure out how to open the door to get to mechanism unit to repair or fix it. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Jamielouise

o yeah lots of penetrating oil has been used and and he's tried to gently (kick) it open.

Reply to
Jamielouise

Hi Roy I've been on google looking but can't find anything about the rear door of a quad cab not opening. Ive also looked through a truck manual my husband has. It discusses the front door. and since the lock mechanism is mounted on the underside of the rear door it really doesn't help. I can't find info about our rear door problem. I'll keep looking through google though. If you find anything please let me know.Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Jamielouise

Well that's not good, here's the other things they had to say about it:

Maybe Denny or Mike will have some better options for you. Good luck to you.

Reply to
BigIronRam