2000 Dodge Transmission

Hey This Dirtclod and I am at the end of the rope. I had the TPS (APPS) replaced and the mechanic said he drove it and it was fixed. I drove it six blocks and it started messing up again. I took it back
and he said to have the computer re-flashed. Or maybe it was the TC lock-up solenoid. What the HELL is going on here?? Someone Help Me!!!!

You had it fixed and it was okay but now it is not? Take it back to the guy that fixed it and have him finish the job. I believe you can adjust the tps.
Roy
Roy wrote:

He said he drove it for about an hour at different speeds and it ran perfect. After I picked up the truck it started to act up. I took it back today and he told he to have the computer re-flahed at the dealership.
==========dirtclod wrote:

Sue him to get your money back for not correcting the problem he charged you for repairing. After all, he said he fixed it.
Then........ carry it somewhere else, let them diagnose it. If they charge you and say they fixed it......well.......you get the picture.
or......... you could tell us EXACTLY what the problem is with the truck. You know, so's we don't have to go pulling up the VERY FEW posts you've made on usenet to figure it out for ourselves.
or........
I'd be glad to guess......like the last dude did.
?
?
?
?
okay...........
unhook the batteries....... mash the brake pedal.......... clean the terminals........................ clean the posts............................................ hook everything back up........................................ go for a test drive.............................................................
do a repost and post the results.
<g>
oh yeah........ no charge, no warranty this was a guess...... only a guess....................
i don't charge for guess's.
~:~ Marsh Monster ~takes a sip of his mushroom tea........mmmmm.....gooooood stuff~ ~:~
Marsh Monster wrote:

You replied to my last post so I thought you understood my problem. I don't know what is wrong with it, if I did I wouldn't be on this computer. When the 2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 CTD with 72,212 miles reaches 45-50 mph and shifts to overdrive the torque converter locks up, then unlocks over and over again. At first I thought it was something wrong with the transmission, so I had the fluid and filter changed. Then I took it and after the transmission mechanic diagnosed the problem as the TPS (APPS) he replaced that and the problem still exists. I read that if you cycle the key three times the code will appear on the odometer. I did this and got code P-1693. I cannot find out what this code means. I am just looking for some advice.

P1693 is a diagnostic trouble code set in the companion module, which means the PCM has received word from the ECM that it has a problem. In the 2000 Ram w/Cummins, the PCM is Dodge, the ECM is Cummins. You'll have to find a dealer of either Dodge or Cummins to have the ECM DTC's read. I suspect it'll have something to do with the APPS.
--
Max

Okay.... first things first. You (or your mechanic) needs to determine whether or not this lock/unlock is "commanded" (ie. called for by the PCM) or not. This is best done with a DRB3, which for the most part, only dealership techs will have. Barring that, back-probe the wire going to pin #7 on the transmission solenoid connector (big round connector - should be an orange/black wire, but verify it's #7). Run the wire up to the cab, and hook to a multi-meter with the other probe on a good ground. When the clutch is unlocked, you should read an open circuit on the meter. When the clutch locks, you should read very little resistance (the PCM switches ground on this wire to activate the TCC LU solenoid).
If the TCC is flapping, and the meter is holding steady, showing a closed circuit, the problem is in the transmission. If the meter shows the fluctuations along with the TCC, then the problem is electrical, and the PCM's reading something that's causing it to beat the TCC into submission.
If it's determined to be an electrical problem, the next step would be to monitor the APPS signal. This can be done with most any OBD-II scan tool that can provide real-time data.
Your mechanic should know all this, though...

But he probably doesn't know about the "wrap the ground wire on the alternator with tin foil" trick.
--
Ken

Nosey wrote:

Your probably right Ken.
There's a lot of trannies being sold because of this symptom.
~:~ marsh ~:~
Does this work or is it a joke. I spoke with someone at BD Power about a torqloc and he said that wasn't the problem. He suggested a noise reducer for the APPS.

Nosey wrote:

It's no joke. Go to: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/news/index.php and scroll about half way down the page, look for "Torque Converter Lock-Up Fix" underlined in red.
--
Ken