2000 GMC Sierra

I know this is a Dodge Site and i drive a Dodge Ram 3500 myself :) My friend has a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500. The exhaust is out problem, he has headers and Magnaflow exhaust. The Y pipe and the cats are our problem. Their are O2 Sensors before and after the cats. I was wondering if we could cut the cats out and weld in pipe the same diameter of the rest of the exhaust and not have problems, with trouble codes and such, or do we need to get high flow cats?

Reply to
brian

Being that it is a 2000, I would leave them alone unless there is a problem with them, you will not gain enough to justify the costs and headaches. If you cut them out and straight pipe it, you will have issues. I have a 99 Silverado (same thing basically) and in 00 they changed the cat set up slightly. If you replace them with anything other than OE you will continuously have a SES light on. If you pop into

you can get more detailed info on it. It has to do with the flow of the OE vice the aftermarket cats.

Reply to
azwiley1

the cats are a problem, but thanks for that web site its just like dtr i set him up on that :)

Reply to
brian

By problem I meant (I am sure you know) that they are clogged, burn out, etc... I would suggest he talk with local shops (other than dealerships or Midas) as they will be able to tell him some more too. FYI I learned of this issue from Magnaflow Tech as they were "kind" enough to inform me of it.

Reply to
azwiley1