2001 dakota transmission problems.

I drive a 2001 dakota, V6, with automatic transmission. Recently started having a problem with slow acceleration. Eventually the check engine light came on. I took it to a mechanic. He said that dodges have a safety feature in the transmissions, so that it does not use the first gear if there is a problem with the transmission. Supposedly to provide you enough time to get the vehicle in and get serviced. does this sound right or am I being taken for a ride?

Reply to
pilotg2

I forgot to add, I believe he said the check engine codes were 0155 and

0157.
Reply to
pilotg2

other than owning a 2001 dakota, I know little about the transmission, but that sounds pretty weird..

I have the 4.7L v-8 in mine and can't imagine starting out in 2nd with a v-6... maybe he's confusing it with mot going into overdrive unless it's at temperature and you're doing over 30??

I'd definitely get a 2nd opinion.. Mac

mac davis

It happens either with the engine at temp or cold. I do not have a problem with the higher gears. Once it gets up to spead acceleration greatly improves and it does not have a problem shifting. There is only a problem starting from a stop or a low speed (less then 20).

I am taking to a different place for a second opinion tomorrow.

mac davis wrote:

Reply to
pilotg2

yes, he's describing limp in mode. other than that i know little about auto trans it was not my specialty and i am not the most well versed person here. as far as the codes posted. i found this on obd-codes.com

P0155 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1) P0157 02 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

i see no reason why these codes would cause a trans shift problem. but it wouldnt hurt to look at why you have these codes.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

I cannot give advise other than to say IF you have engine problems IT will put the trans into the fail safe mode You need to get the engine codes checked out

Reply to
sqdancerLynn