2001 Dodge Dakota Auto Transmision - No Reverse

Threaded View

Good morning,
I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota 2WD, V6. Forward gears are excellent...I can do
engine breaking in forward gears...

Problem is...no reverse. I can hear it go into reverse...like the usual very
mild clunk, but it does not move.

I am hesitant to go to a transmission shop for this...just finished paying
$3000 for a transmision for my Impala...

I would like to know what the most common problem could be based on these
symptoms...if it is too much than I will get a used transmission...I hardly
ever use this vehicle...

Does anyone have a hint on what the most likely cause would be...

Steve

Re: 2001 Dodge Dakota Auto Transmision - No Reverse

Rear band...  pull the pan, and check the rear band adjustment.  Make sure
it's not loose/broken/missing pieces (that you'll find in the pan).  Next
step would be to put a pressure gauge (300psi) on the rear servo test port,
and see what pressure (if any) you get when you put it in reverse (should be
around 150psi or so).  If you have the ability, I'd do the pressure test
first, since you can do that (must do, in fact) with the pan on and tranny
full of fluid.

Re: 2001 Dodge Dakota Auto Transmision - No Reverse

Took your advice...I dropped the oil pan and found what looks like a large
retaining ring in pieces...looks to have a 4 inch diameter...it almost looks
like it belongs with the Reverse band...

Can this be replaced without removing the transmission?

Steve

Re: 2001 Dodge Dakota Auto Transmision - No Reverse

I hate when that happens...  one of our former tranny experts here (Gary G,
for those that remember) used to call those "identifiable chunks", and when
you have chunks that you can actually identify, that's bad...

4" diameter is more along the lines of a thrust washer - the reverse band is
larger than that.  But that detail aside, I still think you found your
problem.

Nope - gotta take it out and tear it down.  Sorry the news isn't better.

Re: 2001 Dodge Dakota Auto Transmision - No Reverse

On May 21, 1:21 pm, "Tom Lawrence"

I wonder if Gary G. is still alive and kicking, anyone heard form him
or Budd for that matter?

Site Timeline