2001 dodge ram 1500 5.2

strange whistling noise from under the hood when temperature is around zero degrees and colder (celsius) appears only when vehicle is under load if you let off on gas noise goes away also when you put your foot into it.strange thing is when cruise control is activated no sound and cruise works better nice smooth acceleration under load and it doesnt constantly hammer down to a lower gear to maintain the set speed like it used to.as i said it accelerates smoothly. so what is it a throttle problem ,transmission or valve or vacum leak of some sort.... help and thanks.

Reply to
7829

My 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.2 Liter) does the same thing. I replaced vacuum hoses, hose clamped or tied all the ends and even carved off part of the inside of the air filter housing on the chance it was some kind of harmonics going on inside. It still does it when the temp reaches 32 degrees Fahrenheit, although I have to say it hasn't done it this year yet....

I'm not sure about when cruise control is on. It's been going on since I bought the truck (used) in 1999...

Dave Young

7829 wrote:
Reply to
Dave Young

My 1998 Ram 1500 5.9L didn't make a sucking intake noise when I bought it (sort of a whistling, I guess), but after the air cleaner was changed, it did! I checked the install, and it looked OK. At the next air cleaner change, it went away - indicating to me that different manufacturers had different levels of sound proofing. Change the aircleaner, and btw, has anyone tried a Fram Air Hog? I like the commercials, but haven't tried one yet?

Reply to
Phil Rhodes

My 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 does the same exact thing, has since it was new. I had it into the shop several times, and no diagnosis was ever made. That was when it was new, 5 or 6 years ago. I have not made any new inquiries to see if there is a resolution. I guess I find it more annoying than anything.

But, in my experience, it has got to be transmission based, because the whistle only seems to happen between 1800 and 2100 RPMs, and only when holding steady pressure on the accelerator. Let off the gas, it goes away, give it more gas, and it goes away, and once the truck has warmed up, the whistle stops as well.

If you find anything, please post!

JR

Reply to
JR