2001 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with Superchips performance tuning

Hello everyone!
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel that I've just added the Superchips performance tuning upgrade to. There is a definite change noticable after
the upgrade, but I am a bit concerned by how much black exhaust I am now seeing. Has anyone out here done this / seen this before? I loaded the "Hi Performance" program. When I am in town I will see a substantial black cloud - sometimes even with a very minor acceleration. If I hit it a bit harder the plume is much worse. I tend to shift at lower RPM's I was not ultimately looking for power from this upgrade, but rather the best ecenomy I can get out of it...
Recently I ran into a guys while fueling up that told me he had only replaced his injectors and went from 19MPG to a solid 25MPG - in town!. He gave me the name of the shop and told me to call them. The shop recommended the Superchips tuner instead of the injectors as long as the current injectors were still good.
Thoughts anyone?

Have you ever been to a tractor pull? They send out a massive black cloud when pulling...
Black smoke with a module is incomplete fuel burn. Thats just how it is when you dump fuel into the engine without adding more air.