2001 Durango idiot light reset??

How do I reset the check engine light on my 2001 Durango? I think the gas cap was left loose again, this happened once before and a shop charged $50 to check for codes and reset the light. Can I just
disconnect the battery? Also, any suggestions for a scan tool since the miles are adding up on this car and will probably be needing one sooner or later? TIA, Mark L

Yes.
You should be able to display the codes on your odometer. Click the ignition three times (OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON), and any stored codes (Pxxxx) will display on the odometer. When finished, the odometer will display 'Pdone'. You can then look the codes up online (do a google search for 'OBD-II codes'). If you want to buy one, pretty much any generic OBD-II code reader will do the same, and will also let you reset the CEL without having to disconnect the battery. Here's a pretty cheap one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/manuals.taf?f=form&ItemIDF030
Great info, Tom. I appreciate it very much.