2001 RAM 1500 MIL Light WON'T light up

Greetings, Dodge Truck group. Here's a strange problem for you:
2001 Dodge RAM 1500 390 4wd
I failed the state emissions inspection because the MIL light doesn't
come on during the startup check.
I found a DaimlerChrysler service manual online that showed me how to do the EMIC (electro-mechanical instument cluster) check by holding in the odo reset button while I turn the ignition switch to on. All the lights illuminate but the MIL and the SRI (service reminder indicator.)
These particular LED's are soldiered to the EMIC, so if they are bad, I have to spend three humdred bucks on a new EMIC. Could there be something wrong somewhere else in the truck that I could fix without spending so much money or disassembling the dashboard?
Thanks!!

Gavin
I knew about the Speedometer Reset Button routine. I thought it checked the MIL. I will check mine in the morning.
Mc Code Checker that utilizes a computer does this.
Bob AZ