2002 and up Ram 1500 Shudder, jerk, etc

I've read a few posts in this group about small shudders, jolts etc when starting. I recently purchased a 2003 and had the same problem. It's subtle - occurs in about 1 out of every 15 starts from a dead stop - it's very subtle on mine.

I changed the differential fluid last weekend and when I pulled the cover and let the oil drain I found lots of metal shavings (like sand) and a large retainer-looking clip - about an inch long.

Did a little searching and found there is a common problem on Dodge Ram 1500's with the 9.25 axel and the facvtory LSD.

Thought some of you might be interested in investigating if you have a truck that fits these years.

Looks like there are lots of people with this problem and it usually gives little to no warning before a failure. Most of the people find it when changing fluids. There are 4 clips that are used to retain the clutch packs of the LSD in some manner and they are prone to coming loose and having freedom to roam around the pumpkin. with luck it will sit at the bottom by the magnet, others come partially out and then score grooves on the bear cap and possibly requiring replacement of the axel housign itself. A catastrphic failure could occur if left long enough or simply by unluckiness of the draw, immediately.

So, if you're close to required time to change fluids, go ahead and do it early while you can still get warranty coverage.

John