2002 Dakota repairs

I'm considering purchasing a used 2002 Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4x4 w/90,000 km from a dealership. It has the optional AWD.

Body and interior appear straight and clean.

Dealer says the entire front differential, rack and pinion and rear axle seal are being replaced before they let the truck go. Also a wheel alignment.

I'm comforted by the fact they have gone through it and are repairing any problems before they resell it. However, some of my friends are warning me off because they believe those problems are excessive for a vehicle with that mileage. It still has a bit of factory warranty.

Can these problems be an indication of other pending mechanical failures or are they simply coincidental? Are these problems related to each other (perhaps caused by an accident)? Or maybe they are common with Dakotas?

Any constructive input would be appreciated.

Michael

Reply to
michael

======= =======

Michael, theres an old saying...........

"rode hard, and put up wet".

Unless this thing can be had at an unbelievable discount, I would seriously caution that you look at other vehicals that don't have major repair issues at "time of purchase". Yes, I believe the problems "may" be an indicator that the truck has had a hard life, and underlying "future repairs" will be necessary within the first 12-18 months of purchase.

A "bit of a factory warranty" isn't going to help you if that tranny goes out on you in a year and a half. $2200 !!!!!! And.....the tranny WILL fail eventually, and it's at the window now for the mileage that I see them coming into the shop.

10-20 "mopop" trannies a month.

Unless your "bit" of a warranty will last for the next couple of years at a minimum......run...don't walk.....to the next prospective vehical that you're considering. Unless you get a thrill out of throwing the dice...then go for it. It's your money.

Fact, not Fiction

~:~ Marsh Monster ~sips his mushroom tea~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Find a different vehicle, sounds like it has had a hard life. If you do buy it HAVE the engine compression checked & an independant evaluation

Reply to
sqdancerLynn