2002 Dodge Durango Electric Radiator fan?

Hello,

The Wife 2002 Dodge Durango (~52k miles) was complaining the the AC wasn't very cold when she first got in the car. When get got going it would be fine.. I checked the refrigerant level and it would fine. She would also complain that the mechanical fan cluch would engage more often creating a whirling noise and sluggish response. She never complained much about this this before. So, looking at the truck today it appears that the electric fan has given up the ghost. Checked the relay, shorted the two relay contacts and the fan wouldn't turn on. With the AC on the relay would click, but no movement inthe fan. I got power at the fan connector but the fan wouldn't turn. I took the fan out of the car and hooked it up to a bench power supply, and nothing.

So, am I missing something in my diagnosis or is it simply just a bad fan? I called some local autoparts places (which are opened on a sunday) and all said this is a dealer item..

Thanks,

-James

Reply to
James Russo

If you applied power directly to the fan motor and it didn't spin, then it is bad.

Reply to
TBone

Ok. I wasn't sure if there was some circuitry inside the fan itself which only allowed it to turn on when hot,etc. It doesn't appear to be the case, but wasn't 100% sure.

Thanks,

Reply to
James Russo

Could you see any way to get it apart? You're going to replace it, may as well see if it's something like a broken wire, bad connection or stuck brush. Can't hurt to try. I would rap on it with a screwdriver first and see if it runs on the bench supply. And, there may be a way to mount a junk yard fan off something else that will work. I did this on a Jap car. The fan motor burnt up and I was able to fit a fan off something else. Best $15.00 I ever spent and it works fine.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I've used bremerton dodge before for parts. They are in washington state. I ordered a new window regulator and a new side mirror from them, great service and prices. I had hoped that the part would be $80-90 bucks but with a $300 retail, it's more likely going to be $180-200 range. Owell.. still cheaper then having the dealer fix it..

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

Al,

I'm going to go take a look. But from a quick look it appears to be sealed. It has a bolt looking thing on the fan part, but I don't think that comes of. One of the autoparts guys (autozone or advanced) said that he thought you might be able to just buy the motor. I'll have to find out. You couldn't do this with the window regulator I bought before. You got the motor with it..

We will see. If the price of the fan is >$200 I might check out a junkyard. If it's $40 there I can replace it 5 times and still break even.. minus my time..

I'm going to head to the garage and tinker with the fan. I'll see what happens..

Reply to
James Russo

Ohh.. One other thing. I wonder if the fan is considered part of "drive train" and would be covered under the 7yr/70k mile warranty that dodge offers. I guess I'd have to put the inop fan back in and drive it to the dealer if it is..

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

The fan is not covered under the 7/70 powertrain warranty.

Sorry...

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

I kinda figured. I'll just swap it out myself. I'm going to call around tomorrow to locate one.

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

Ouch. The local dealer has the part in stock for $366. Seems high for just a fan...

-jr

Reply to
James Russo