2002 Dodge Ram 1500

Dealer says I need to replace fuel tank to get rid of P0455 code...they performed a 'smoke' test and it appears I have an emissions leak on the fuel
tank where it is molded together. They quoted $800 for the tank, $150-200 to install it. Any body else ever experienced this? I feel that I can replace the fuel tank if I can find an aftermarket tank or one from salvage. Suggestions?

800 for a tank is ridiculous. Also if truck has under 50 K on it, they have to fix it because of 5yr/50 K emissions warranty. Look for other sources for ou fuel tank if you have to pay for it or ignore the codes if it is okay otherwise. If it is not leaking fuel, I would not be too concerned at this stage but if it is leaking fuel, that is a different matter.
Twin wrote:

while and look for a better deal. Also, is it plastic? I'd be inclined to try to fix it -- take it off, drain it, find the leak, take a lighter and extra plastic and try to fuse it all together. If it's metal, gas tank patch will work -- it might on plastic too but have not as yet had one. Or you could braise the leak with copper if you know someone with torches --- but be really careful there is no fuel left. While you're at it, look for any filters you can replace and inspect fuel pump if there
My thought is if it took a smoke test to find the leak, it can't be that bad or you would have smelled it and seen the puddles. If it is leaking even just a little but STEADILY, I'm with SnoMan and fix it. ALso, I can get a used plastic tank for my old ram for $200 cdn -- but have other things to spend it on. Can't believe that price $800 either. If it's only leaking when full (mold near top), just don't fill it! I've had a 77 gmc for 7 years and it always leaked at about 80% so I fill the tank looking under it! rach
Rachel Easson wrote:

Ka-Boom!
Ka-Boom!
The thing is most dangerous after it's been drained so there's "no fuel left."

The fumes are what makes gasoline explosive, not the fuel itself.
That is correct so if you fill the tank with water prior to its repair, you will minimize the danger.
"Addisons" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
I have a fuel tank on a old tractor that I have repaired a few times with a torch with no problems. I drain the fuel and then pour in some alchol and swish it around and then drain that (because alchol can bind with gas and water) then fill it with water to push out all of the vapors then drain it and repair it. You could also just fill tank with pure nitrogen or CO2 if you have access to it and it will no "burn" then either. If you use the water methods, add a little alchol when you are done and refill tank to remove/bind with any water that may be present when you refuel it.

SnoMan wrote:

finished fixing them we just left them in the hot sun to dry out (steam cleaned), but with the older models the engines can just cough and splutter until the water is out -- used to add a bit of gas-line antifreeze. I've even sanded and fibre-glassed to fix (back when I was a teen and was even greener behind the ears) with a musician doing the gas tank removal part for me. using the clean-out gas tank method, your way is better with the alcohol SnoMan -- isopropyl 97% or rubbing or doesn't it matter? rach
TBone wrote:

think before about why you leave the water in -- thought it just wouldn't cause a big explosion if things went wrong (god I can be ignorant without even knowing it!!!) rach
Sparkle wrote:

Guess I've been really lucky! Twin I wasn't trying to get you killed! Thanks Sparkle (was that as in spark??? <LOL>)

Twin wrote:

how come no responses? I hope you didn't blow up ????!!!
rach
Aloe plants are excellent for burns!!!